cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arudd1
Community Member

Importing a Course

Jump to solution

I am trying to import content from my shell course into my actual course. I am going through the steps to import the course and on my end under current jobs, it says the job has been completed. When I click on the course though, there is nothing there. Why isn't the course importing? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @arudd1 

It sounds to me like you made a mistake I have often seen before from my own faculty - you copied your empty course into itself.

• Go to the course you want to copy your past course content into,
  • Follow the Import Course Content steps, and
  • Make sure you are copying from (choosing in the drop-down) the past course that has your desired content.

If you subsequently find that your past course is empty, that means you did your course-copy backwards and copied from the new section (empty shell) into your old section. Also a common mistake.  If you did this, you might be able to recover the lost content from your school's beta instance of Canvas. See https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13017-4152719754  for guidance.

Kelley

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @arudd1 

It sounds to me like you made a mistake I have often seen before from my own faculty - you copied your empty course into itself.

• Go to the course you want to copy your past course content into,
  • Follow the Import Course Content steps, and
  • Make sure you are copying from (choosing in the drop-down) the past course that has your desired content.

If you subsequently find that your past course is empty, that means you did your course-copy backwards and copied from the new section (empty shell) into your old section. Also a common mistake.  If you did this, you might be able to recover the lost content from your school's beta instance of Canvas. See https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13017-4152719754  for guidance.

Kelley

View solution in original post

arudd1
Community Member

I tried again to make sure I was copying the right course into the right course, and it says it has copied. It appears that assignments have copied, but the homepage did not copy. Does the homepage copy too? 

Amanda:

Did you select the "All Content" checkbox?

Have you verified that there is the content you need in the former course?

If you answered both of those with "Yes", then I would submit a Support ticket.

Because, yes, everything copies including settings when you select "All content">

Kelley

Hello  @arudd1 ...

To add to what  @kmeeusen ‌ has stated about copying content into itself (or in your case, potentially "nothing" into "nothing"), there is an easy way to tell if you did this.  In the course where you wanted to copy content, go to your "Settings" page, and then click on "Import Course Content".  Then, you'll see "Current Jobs" listed.  There will most likely be a course listed under there next to the words "Course Copy" with the date and time.  If you hover over the course link displayed there, look at the link that appears at the bottom of your web browser.  There will be a Course ID number listed in that URL (ex: http://SchoolName.instructure.com/courses/12345).  Compare that number with the Course ID number displayed in the URL address bar at the top of your browser.  If these two numbers are the same, then you have copied "nothing" into "nothing".  I hope this helps, Amanda.