cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oneill_edward
Community Member

Importing outcome groups WITHIN groups?

Jump to solution

How do I create groups within groups in the csv file I'm importing to create outcomes?

Because I don't just have a group with outcomes: I have nested groups inside groups.

Or do I have to import and then re-arrange the groups?

--Edward R. O'Neill

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @oneill_edward  - Let me begin with a caveat: I am no expert on creating CSV files properly (though I know what are are, of course, and rules about not having spaces, etc), and if you ask me any follow-up questions my response will likely be along the lines of "Ummm; I don't know."

But I was curious about this myself, because I remember I thought it was really cool when Canvas first introduced this capability.  The way I found an answer was at a sub-account level in the regular, GUI interface by creating an outcome group within an outcome group, and then an outcome in that sub-group.  (Just to see how that was handled by the CSV file.)  I then exported the outcomes into a CSV file, which one can do at an account/sub-account level as an administrator.  (Details are here: How do I view reports for an account? )  So if I had nothing else to recommend to you, that would be it:  try it using the GUI first, and then run the report, assuming you have admin rights to that subaccount.  And full credit to the Community here for that idea, as outlined here:  Exporting Outcomes .

Anyway, here was my setup:

-New Outcome Group

---New Outcome Group Subgroup [A group within the group/folder within the folder]

--------An outcome called Sub-Group Level Outcome within that subgroup

And here is a screen capture of the CSV file that it captured when I exported it:

307673_sample outcome subgroups.jpg

So, the object_type is still called group, even for the subgroup, but for the top-more group the parent_guids is empty, whereas for the subgroup (and for the outcome, for that matter) the parent_guids are both named by the top-level group found in the vendor_guid.

I hope this helps a bit, Edward...though as I said I may not be able to help too much if you had a followup question! 🙂

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @oneill_edward  - Let me begin with a caveat: I am no expert on creating CSV files properly (though I know what are are, of course, and rules about not having spaces, etc), and if you ask me any follow-up questions my response will likely be along the lines of "Ummm; I don't know."

But I was curious about this myself, because I remember I thought it was really cool when Canvas first introduced this capability.  The way I found an answer was at a sub-account level in the regular, GUI interface by creating an outcome group within an outcome group, and then an outcome in that sub-group.  (Just to see how that was handled by the CSV file.)  I then exported the outcomes into a CSV file, which one can do at an account/sub-account level as an administrator.  (Details are here: How do I view reports for an account? )  So if I had nothing else to recommend to you, that would be it:  try it using the GUI first, and then run the report, assuming you have admin rights to that subaccount.  And full credit to the Community here for that idea, as outlined here:  Exporting Outcomes .

Anyway, here was my setup:

-New Outcome Group

---New Outcome Group Subgroup [A group within the group/folder within the folder]

--------An outcome called Sub-Group Level Outcome within that subgroup

And here is a screen capture of the CSV file that it captured when I exported it:

307673_sample outcome subgroups.jpg

So, the object_type is still called group, even for the subgroup, but for the top-more group the parent_guids is empty, whereas for the subgroup (and for the outcome, for that matter) the parent_guids are both named by the top-level group found in the vendor_guid.

I hope this helps a bit, Edward...though as I said I may not be able to help too much if you had a followup question! 🙂

Thanks!

I ended up stumbling across this very solution.

But I'm glad it's here for others.

--Edward