cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsrinivasan
Community Member

Importing questions from Question bank

Jump to solution

I am trying to import questions for a quiz from a question bank (I created). Since I want to select all the questions from the question bank, I am linking to the question bank, instead of selecting questions. I set up the Question group to select 5 questions. When I preview it, the quiz works perfectly well. When I take the quiz from the Student View option, the quiz works perfectly fine. But my students do not see the questions at all. They see other questions in the quiz, but not from this question bank? What am I doing wrong? 

A sample of how the group is set.

252266_pastedImage_2.png

Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @bsrinivasan  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  I might have an answer for you, though I'm certainly no expert on linking to question banks. I replicated this behavior in a sample course site just now.  

What I think may have happened is that you linked to a question bank from another course site (perhaps one you bookmarked?) that you taught from the past or just another course site from the current term rather than the actual course site the quiz is in.  If you did this, since students are not enrolled in that other course site, they will not see the questions.  The key word here is link, I believe.  Had you imported the question bank into your own course site, this would not be an issue.  I do not think the Canvas guides explicitly mention this limitation of linking, and this could very well be a bug.  But in any event, when I tried linking questions from a question bank that was in another course site, the few students who happened to be enrolled in the other course site could see the questions, but the one student who was not enrolled in the other course site could, indeed, not see the questions.

So this may boil down to a rights issue on the course sites.  In either case, this may be something to contact Support about, since I'm not sure this is expected behavior.  But it would also explain why your student view worked just fine, because you (as the instructor) have full rights to all the question banks.

Perhaps this may help solve the mystery...perhaps not.  If you indeed linked to a question bank in the same course site, then this theory of mine is not valid and it's still time to contact support!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @bsrinivasan  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  I might have an answer for you, though I'm certainly no expert on linking to question banks. I replicated this behavior in a sample course site just now.  

What I think may have happened is that you linked to a question bank from another course site (perhaps one you bookmarked?) that you taught from the past or just another course site from the current term rather than the actual course site the quiz is in.  If you did this, since students are not enrolled in that other course site, they will not see the questions.  The key word here is link, I believe.  Had you imported the question bank into your own course site, this would not be an issue.  I do not think the Canvas guides explicitly mention this limitation of linking, and this could very well be a bug.  But in any event, when I tried linking questions from a question bank that was in another course site, the few students who happened to be enrolled in the other course site could see the questions, but the one student who was not enrolled in the other course site could, indeed, not see the questions.

So this may boil down to a rights issue on the course sites.  In either case, this may be something to contact Support about, since I'm not sure this is expected behavior.  But it would also explain why your student view worked just fine, because you (as the instructor) have full rights to all the question banks.

Perhaps this may help solve the mystery...perhaps not.  If you indeed linked to a question bank in the same course site, then this theory of mine is not valid and it's still time to contact support!

View solution in original post

Thanks Ken. It makes the most sense.