cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheldonj1
Community Contributor

In Dashboard one class is "orange" other is "light blue with my image" why?

Jump to solution

Why is it that one of my classes is the default orange and does NOT have my image "behind it" while the other is the default blue but is "transparent blue" and has my image behind it.

Why is that?

Or, if it is a "setting" I can't find the setting to get my image "behind" the orange one and where might I find that setting?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sheldonj1 ​...

Those are called course "cards", and they are outlined in more detail here: How do I add an image to a course card in the Dashboard? (Note, this is a Canvas Guide for instructors.)  Assuming that you are a student, my thought is that one of your instructors has gone into the course "Settings" to add an image to the course "card", but your other course has not gotten this same treatment.  If the instructor for that course has not uploaded an image, then you will see a solid color for that course.  However, as a student (and really any user in the Canvas system, to be honest) you can change that color to whatever you want...even if it has an image behind it.  Here's another Canvas Guide for you: How do I use the Dashboard? (scroll about half-way down to "Change Course Color").  If you want to pick a different color from the small set available to you, you can always go to a site like HTML Color Picker or Color Picker - ColorPicker.com or http://htmlcolorcodes.com/color-picker/ to pick your own 6-character hex color from the entire color spectrum.  :smileygrin:

Hope this information is helpful to you, James!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sheldonj1 ​...

Those are called course "cards", and they are outlined in more detail here: How do I add an image to a course card in the Dashboard? (Note, this is a Canvas Guide for instructors.)  Assuming that you are a student, my thought is that one of your instructors has gone into the course "Settings" to add an image to the course "card", but your other course has not gotten this same treatment.  If the instructor for that course has not uploaded an image, then you will see a solid color for that course.  However, as a student (and really any user in the Canvas system, to be honest) you can change that color to whatever you want...even if it has an image behind it.  Here's another Canvas Guide for you: How do I use the Dashboard? (scroll about half-way down to "Change Course Color").  If you want to pick a different color from the small set available to you, you can always go to a site like HTML Color Picker or Color Picker - ColorPicker.com or http://htmlcolorcodes.com/color-picker/ to pick your own 6-character hex color from the entire color spectrum.  :smileygrin:

Hope this information is helpful to you, James!

View solution in original post

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Hi

Thank you, I had seen references to the "course card" but was not sure about it.

The college has had a couple of "online" tutelages on Canvas but I have not viewed them since I have found, by working on Linux development, that a lot of it is tedious and can be easily found if one thinks logically.

Apparently I have ticked something in one class and not the other.

It is not a big deal to me but I didn't want to take a chance that by one part of the database being changed in some manner that it would cause problems down the road.

As a note; I, personally, think that Canvas will be a great boon to the college.

I worked on[url= Sakai@UD : Gateway : Welcome ]Sakai [/url] a decade or so ago but priorities changed.

But to the point, using "the cloud" and "html" for Canvas provides a lot of freedom for instructors who choose to use it.

However, there are a lot of adjunct instructors who are perfectly fine instructors who retired from public school who are not at all aware of what goes on "on the net" and have no clue as to HTML.  Those instructors have problems just using Blackboard which is, basically, "typing stuff in a predefined and buttoned box".  So, I will watch with some humor what will be done with Canvas at the college.

One thing that I can say about the college is that it is very forward leaning and the move to Canvas is not a great surprise to me.

So, I apologize for the long reply, but, again,

thanks for the nice linky and comment. Smiley Happy

james

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Yes I have done the colour picker but also just did HTML colour codes such as : #DAF7A6  in various boxes.

However, I have learned over the years that "staging" changes into the IMS such as BB generates student interest to keep coming back to the site.

As an aside I placed an animated gif, which I made myself using GiMP, of the recommended dimensions in the "banner box" and it works just fine. Smiley Happy

James

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

To the moderator:

I think that, unless there are other salient comments that this thread can be marked solved. Smiley Happy

james

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

As i posted in another thread because the term "Course card" was not known by this author.

There is another thread which lists with images the process.

Courses / Choose desired course / settings (bottom of page) / Course details ( choose image ) / click and navigate to image

The image should be in "landscape" or it will be rotated clockwise 90 degrees.

An image from an Android S3 cell phone will be resized with all of the image visible.

james

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

I hope that anyone who is interested in customizing Dashboard course cards will join me for a CanvasLIVE​ quick demo, Add Images to Your Course Cards, coming up on Thursday, January 19, 2017. Teachers and admins who are already familiar with the process of adding images to course cards will find this to be a quick refresher; those of you who haven't yet tried this will learn the how-to's, and will also pick up some tips and tricks on image selection and sizing. RSVP “yes” to the event if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.