cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwerling
Community Member

In Quizzes.next, is there a way to have a Fill in the Blank question that requires an exact match on spelling, but ignores case?

Jump to solution

In Q.next, I want a fill in the blank that will ignore my students capitalizing the first letter, but still requires spelling to be perfect.

In the attached image, you can see that I want a typed response of "eres".  However, I would like students to receive points for "Eres" should an auto-capitalization error have occured, but not allow "ares", which would be outright wrong.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
levi_magnus
Community Participant

Hi Drew,

This can be achieved by selecting the Specify Correct Answers option from the Text Match drop down menu shown in the image you shared. You can then specify both "Eres" and "eres" as acceptable answers to the question.

Levi

View solution in original post

4 Replies
levi_magnus
Community Participant

Hi Drew,

This can be achieved by selecting the Specify Correct Answers option from the Text Match drop down menu shown in the image you shared. You can then specify both "Eres" and "eres" as acceptable answers to the question.

Levi

Ah.  I would love for a feature to be developed that would allow FIB questions to simply ignore case without having to add a second possible answer.  Or, at the least, use a Levenshtein Distance of zero while ignoring case in the close enough option.  The "add an answer for every contingency" issue is part of what keeps my department from using quizzes on a more regular basis.

levi_magnus
Community Participant

For more complex cases where there are many possible solutions that should be accepted, you can use the Regular Expression Match option. This allows you to use specialized text strings that describe search patterns. It's an advanced option, but when used properly it can save you from having to add an answer for every contingency.

I would also like to mention that whenever you have a new feature idea you can post it in the Canvas Studio‌ (check to make sure it doesn't already exist first) and then other members of the community can vote on it. For more information on creating a new feature idea you can view How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?‌ You can also find out more about how these ideas are processed and then potentially developed by reading How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community? and What is the feature development process for Canvas?

kjohn113
Community Participant

Is there a list of regular expressions of the kind the Drew is referring to?  This was relatively easy to do in Blackboard, but I'm having a hard time with it in Quizzes.Next in Canvas.