In need Quiz to displays point values per question like the question point values in the Quiz Bank?

Jump to solution
cmccann1
Community Contributor

Let’s say I create a "Quiz Bank" with three questions and assign different point values to those questions, for example looking like: (1) T/F = 2 points, (2) a Multiple Choice = 3 points, (3) and the third is an Essay Question = 25 points. 

The problem is when I create a “Quiz” and try to link the “Quiz Bank” the Quiz edit interface is asking for Point values per question… a single number point value…. but I don’t want a single value… the “Quiz Bank” contains the point values.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
nwilson7
Community Champion

@cmccann1 When you do a quiz group, all the questions need to have the same point value. This way each student receives the same value of questions, not one student gets 5 - one point questions, and another get 5 - five point questions or a student gets a random set of different point questions.  The goal of this is to keep things fair in the randomization.

In your example, let's say from your 3 questions, you say choose 1 from the bank.  So a student gets a 1 point T/F question and another gets a 25 point essay, that would not be fair.  While you may not be using quiz banks to only choose a portion of, since that capability is there, it has to be setup to require them to be the same point values.  

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post

cmccann1
Community Contributor

Thanks, Nike--

It looks like if a “Quiz Bank” has questions with different point values then they should not be brought into a “Quiz” via “Link to a Question Bank” with the expectations of defining individual point values -- instead, use the “Find Question” option.

The thing we lose with doing Find Question is the ability to draw random questions from the “Quiz Bank”.

The workaround, if necessary, is two create for example two Banks. In the one bank, have low-value questions, say they all have a value of 1 pt. each. In another bank, have high-value questions for example all of these are 10 pts. each. Use more banks with different consistent question pt. values as needed.

Sound Right?

****I'm trying to set this as the solution --

View solution in original post

nwilson7
Community Champion