cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmd194

Inactive Students still showing in Groups

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Has anyone else found that when you make a student "inactive" due to drop or withdrawal, they are still listed in the groups within the course? My understanding was that student could not be added to groups once they were listed inactive. However, if they are already participating or added to a group when that status changes, they are still listed as participants in the group. Is there a way to "refresh" the group list so as to not show those inactive students?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Tracy,

The majority of behaviors with inactive enrollments were resolved as part of the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02). Please see the Fixed Bugs section about Groups for more information. There is still a bug where instructors can still see the inactive student in their groups list and I'm working on getting a ticket in to address that tonight.

Thank you!

Erin

View solution in original post

18 Replies
audrey_crawford
Community Member

My experience is that Inactive students DO get added to newly-created Groups. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

millerjm
Community Champion

Are you referring to the newly created "inactive" state, or the completed/concluded state? 

The students that get added to my newly-created groups are students that are marked "Inactive" in my People list. The students were put into my class by the SIS. I am being told that I can neither delete nor conclude them.

I'm referring to the newly created "inactive" state. There are many problems with the groups in a course when it comes to user state in a course. Shouldn't groups reflect only active students?

awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Yeah, the new feature is great, but there are some things that would make it even better. I think I would suggest filing a support ticket so that someone from Canvas can give guidance on "intended" or "bug." Once we know that we'll know if we need to create a feature idea like " modifiedtitle="true" title="Option to Hide Inactive Students from Gradebook .

A ticket has been created and it looks like Instructure is calling it a bug.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Tracy,

Thanks! What did Canvas Support say was a bug specifically?  Was it the general continued appearance of inactive students in groups generally, or is the bug limited to random assignment of students to groups?

Hi Rob,

They attached an engineering tracker and stated that they could replicate the issue of inactive and concluded students being assigned to groups. They are investigating a way to make this fix. When I spoke to our CSM, it became clear that groups and user status are items that really don't "talk" in the system and that they needed to be on the same page. I don't expect that this will happen overnight, but hoping that it gets addressed soon!

RobDitto
Community Champion

Thank you SO much!