cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hharris

Incompatible Character Encodings

We are getting a lot of tickets into our Instructure Support lately where students are trying to submit assignments and are getting an Incompatible Character Encodings: ASCII-8BIT and UTF-8 error.  We seem to be getting a bunch of these, all of the sudden, any ideas on what might be causing this to occur? 

27 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hharris , we haven’t seen any like this so far. Have you reported it to Canvas Support? I wonder if it’s a bigger issue or specific to your school?

Kona

Yes, I have reported it to Canvas Support. So far they are replying back

that if students are trying to upload a Google Doc, to download it as a

Word doc and submit it. I've just had so many of these tickets all of the

sudden, that I wonder if something larger is occurring.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:52 PM kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for the extra information and it does sound strange that it just started happening. 

lekern
Community Participant

I returned from vacation to find that we have seen a spate of these as well, starting on Oct. 29. Instructure support has been telling our users to clear their cache or try a different browser. I have reported this to our CSM as well, who has escalated it within Support.

john_kelly

We are also getting these after October 29.  A total of 10 have been reported. We are also getting an equal amount of "Rate Limit Exceeded" when trying to submit Google assignments.  We just turned on Google course kit around this time. We have not had users using it yet.  I wonder if you turned on course kit the same time or is it unrelated.

0 Kudos

What course kit?  We've had Google LTI on for about a year or so, but haven't made any recent changes to our Canvas setup.

0 Kudos

Makes Canvas/Google integration (kinda) like google classroom. Still in Beta
Here is link to the video to show you how to use it.
0 Kudos
hharris

It is good to see that we are not alone in this! Our ASCII-8 Bit/ UTF-8 errors started around the same time as everyone else, Oct 29th.  I've been forwarding all tickets to the L1 queue and talking with my rep about it.  Hopefully there is a hotfix soon!

lekern
Community Participant

Still seeing these at a rate of 1-2 every few days - both the Rate Limit Exceeded and the ASCII-8 Bit/UTF-8 errors.

I have asked our CSM to escalate this, and pointed to this thread that demonstrates it is not unique to our environment.

We are getting rate limit exceeded tickets now too!

0 Kudos
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

We pay for premium support so encourage our users to submit their technical queries directly to Instructure, but I regularly check the calls that have been logged to see if there are any common issues that our users are reporting. I noticed within the last hour that one of our students had reported they were getting the "incompatible character encodings: ASCII-8BIT and UTF-8" error when submitting to an assignment from GoogleDocs, and looking back through the tickets I can see that another of our students reported the same problem two days ago. The response from Instructure's engineers to the first ticket was: "We were experiencing issues with file uploads earlier today, but the issue has now been resolved. I suggest that you clear your browser cache and cookies and try to submit your assignment again."
I don't know whether that advice resolved the issue for the student but it's worth trying.

Seems like clear your browser cache and cookies " is stock answer similar to Microsoft support "reboot your computer" solution.  Maybe someone should build a chrome extension that with one button does it and name it "Canvas Support". Smiley Happy

lekern
Community Participant

I received notification today that the "Incompatible character encodings: ASCII-8BIT and UTF-8" error was caused by non-ASCII characters in the filename (double quote). Instructure is working on a fix.

Also received notice that a fix has been deployed for the Rate Limit Exceeded error.

Leslie, thank for sharing.  So for clarification they are telling you that students are using a " mark in their google file name and that is preventing the assignment from being submitted? 

lekern
Community Participant

Yes. Specifically, they stated "your assignment name was trying to change

the quotation marks to open double quote and closing double quote marks.

Because the open and close double quotation marks are not ASCII characters,

they caused an error when submitting."

We have another 5 or 6 cases that have not been responded to yet, but a

quick scan indicates they will likely contain the same issue.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 9:11 AM john.kelly@rsd.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

So my question would be why after October 29 are so many students submitting assignments with quotation marks in them.  And if they have always been doing this, why now is this an issue?

0 Kudos
tross
Community Champion

We have been getting lots of these errors lately.  Several a day for the last week or so.

0 Kudos
hharris

My CSM just told me that the fix for this issue has been deployed to Beta and that a hotfix is coming for production.

Received the same info from my CSM, but he didn't know about the Rate Limit issue.  Anyone else still getting these?  Had another one this morning.

0 Kudos
tross
Community Champion

Yes we are getting that one too.  For us, most of those are on LTI assignments.  Either google or turnitin.

0 Kudos
lekern
Community Participant

We are getting them, too. Instructure said they deployed a fix, but we got

one after that, which has been reported.

Leslie

0 Kudos
tross
Community Champion

Funny I got one right after you posted this.

0 Kudos

Getting any more RATE LIMIT ERRORs?  I have had three today, for the first time since they "fixed" it.

0 Kudos
tross
Community Champion

Yes still getting them.  All related to students submitting work from Google Apps.  We have turned in cases but no real answers.

We just received a ticket today with the rate limit exceeded.  We have escalated all of them up to support now.

Robbie

0 Kudos
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

I am curious to know if anyone has received a new report of the rate exceeded error that came in after November 30th?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @hharris ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since  @scottdennis 's posting on February 6, 2019.  In reviewing the conversations here, you had said on November 14, 2018 that your CSM said a fix was coming to the "Production" environment.  Do you know if this has been resolved?  Are you still getting reports of Incompatible Character Encodings: ASCII-8BIT and UTF-8 errors?  If so, I would suggest that you report that to the Canvas Help Desk staff (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?).  If you could come back to provide an update for us about this issue, that would be great.  Also, if you feel that one of the above replies (including your own) has helped to answer your question, please click on the "Mark Correct" button next to that response.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over four months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Heather.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos