Individual assignments

Jump to solution
LMBUM
Community Member

To avoid unwanted collaboration between students during an online exam, I have created different versions of the exam. I have created assignments on Canvas, and assigned students to their specific exam version. However, some students are assigned to the same exam version.

My question is whether students can see who else is assigned to their assignment.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
gnoack
Community Champion

I can't think of a way for students to see who has been assigned which exam from their own account. They should only see activities that they have been assigned. Perhaps if peer editing were in play, but you didn't mention that. 

Of course, there is nothing stopping them sharing by word of mouth/screenshot.

View solution in original post

Steven_S
Community Champion

It depends on how you assigned students to those versions, and how you labeled the versions.  If you created groups or used sections, then the students are able to know who is in their group or section, and might figure out that it is how you assigned the exam versions.  If you titled the exam in a way the students can detect, that is another way students can tell.  Adding an extra space or punctuation (exam3, exam 3, and exam 3.) is a less obvious than exam 3a, 3b, and 3c, for example.  Students who want to cheat will talk to each other and notice the a, b, c.

Another option, if you use new quizzes for your exam, is to put each of the three versions of your exam questions into a bank, (so a bank for question 1 versions, a bank for question 2 versions, etc) and then set up the quiz to randomly select one question from the bank.  The result will make it impossible for students to detect which version they have, because they will all be at least slightly different.  (This assumes that you have made three versions of questions about the same subjects in order to make your exams).  The quiz settings can also randomize the question order, and if the questions are multiple choice style it can randomize the order of the answer options.

View solution in original post