Inline preview for OneDrive documents

Jump to solution
Undeceiver
Community Member

When using the functionality to include a document from Office365 (OneDrive) in a page, it does not give me an option to provide an inline preview of said document.

This release document from 2016 seems to indicate that this should be possible, though: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Releases-Board/Canvas-Release-Microsoft-Office-365-LTI-201...

In particular, I quote: "The Office 365 LTI displays the OneDrive icon in the Rich Content Editor. The icon displays everything in a user’s OneDrive account and allows users to display documents as inline links. "

But when I do it, the link options do not display an inline preview option for OneDrive document. If I instead upload the document manually then it does.

PS: I posted this as a question because I didn't find another way to post it but also because I think it might be something I'm not seeing. If I should repost it as a feature request, I'd like to know how to do that.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @Undeceiver ...

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is an in-line preview available for O365 documents that are linked within your course using the Office 365 LTI external app.  I looked though this Guide, How do I create a hyperlink from Microsoft Office ... - Canvas Community, and it only indicates that it places a link within your content page.  There isn't any indicator that in-line previewing is an option.  The link that you provided in your question was from a Canvas Release back in December 2016, so things may have changed since then.  (To be honest, I don't recall that in-line previews were ever available for the O365 integration.  I could be wrong, though.)  The Guide that I linked to would have the most up-to-date information.

Feature Ideas/requests here in the Community can be found by clicking on the PRODUCT menu at the top of any screen here in the Community.  Then, you'd select IDEA CONVERSATIONS.  Then, click on the "Suggest an idea" button to get started.  You'll be able to search for similar ideas during the idea creation process in case something similar already exists (in which case, don't create a new idea, but rather post to the existing idea).  Here are a few other documents that will be of help:

I hope that these resources will be of some help to you.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post