Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcelo_amorim
Community Participant

Integrate Canvas with Active Directory

Jump to solution

Hi people,

Recently, I've been searching for some guides to integrate my canvas platform with my organisational active directory. I've found some explanations with Ldap authentications and it worked great!

By the way, I'm working in a larger project, where I'm gonna have (maybe a Single Sign-On solution) an integration between Active Directory, Canvas LMS and Google Apps.

In the security's main page of CanvasLMS, it's described that the Active Directory authentication is possible, but what else can I do with it? I've searched in the Canvas's community and internet for some information, but nothing relevant to it.

Also, I found two possible (paid) solutions to this: Bitium | Manage Your Apps and Passwords and Canvasin Single Sign-On (SSO) - Active Directory Integration - LDAP Sync - Authentication. Both of them have support to Canvas.

Has someone here done something like this? Please, let me know!

Thank you,

Marcelo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

So Active Directory can store all kinds of information about groups and roles and permissions but none of that is transmitted when Active Directory is used with LDAP (or whatever) for authentication. What you could do since you have access to all that AD info is create CSVs in the Canvas format or use the Canvas API to provision users, create and enroll users in groups... all sorts of things! It really is just limited to what information is stored in AD and what you want to do with it in Canvas.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

Can you tell me a little more about what you would want to get out of an integration between Canvas and your Active Directory besides SSO? It sounds like you already have SSO configured and working (great!) but are looking to maybe do something more.

marcelo_amorim
Community Participant

Ahh, sorry. Well, I don't have a SSO configured yet. Actually, I'm analyzing what's necessary to get it working. I would like to know more about  what is possible to do with an AD in Canvas...

It's about an only simple authentication or, in an extreme example, I wonder if it's possible(!?) to copy a tree ramification from the AD and make it as enrolments in Canvas. 

I don't know what point is reachable. Maybe I'm imagining a little bit far from reality.

Thank you for posting

So Active Directory can store all kinds of information about groups and roles and permissions but none of that is transmitted when Active Directory is used with LDAP (or whatever) for authentication. What you could do since you have access to all that AD info is create CSVs in the Canvas format or use the Canvas API to provision users, create and enroll users in groups... all sorts of things! It really is just limited to what information is stored in AD and what you want to do with it in Canvas.

marcelo_amorim
Community Participant

Nice!

So to make it real, do I have to use the Canvas API? Is there any documentation?

haha, I like "make it real." 🙂

The Canvas API has awesome documentation which you can see .at api.instructure.com