cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ree32466
Community Member

Integrating Quiz Groups in a Final Exam

Jump to solution

So, I understand how to create quiz banks and groups to randomize questions for a single quiz.  This is a review course that we have spent a lot of time creating the quiz banks.  For the final exam I am pulling multiple questions from each quiz (question) bank to the final exam.  My question is this, can I randomize the quiz banks into the final exam?  To try to explain what I am doing as an example:  We are pulling 5 questions from quiz 1, 5 questions from quiz 2 and 5 questions from quiz 3.  When we do that into the final exam, it puts those in order.  What I would like to do is question 1 is from quiz 1, question 2 is from quiz 3, question 3 is from quiz 1, question 4 is from quiz 2, etc.  Any idea on how to do this simply?  Thanks for any help!

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mmoore1
Community Contributor

Yes, this is a great idea because you already have the questions created on the previous quizzes.  What I would suggest is to make each quiz group similar to one of your previous quizzes then randomize that group. For example, you can  pull 5 random questions from 20 questions.  Here is the Canvas explanation. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12979-415298624  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ree32466 , you are correct that you can't randomize the order of your quiz question groups, just the order of the questions in the groups. 

Kona

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

For those of you participating in this conversation, this is possible to accomplish in Quizzes.Next using item banks.

Quizzes.Next allows the instructor to pull a specified number of questions from an item bank, as described in How do I add all items or a random set from an item bank to an assessment in Quizzes.Next? The instructor can repeat this step as many times as required to build the assessment.

The instructor would then toggle the Shuffle questions option in Settings to randomize the delivery of the questions. How do I manage settings for an assessment in Quizzes.Next? details the settings that are available in Quizzes.Next assessments.

Quizzes.Next is available to all paid Canvas accounts. It is a separate tool from old Quizzes, which means that both quiz tools can be used simultaneously in a course for those wanting to test the waters. The Quizzes.Next User Group‌ has additional information, so please check it out.

Getting back to the original question—which was to pull quiz questions from other quizzes—no, that can't be done in either quiz tool, but since the quiz questions from previous quizzes also reside in item banks, the assessment can be built from questions used in previous quizzes via the add-from-item-bank item bank function.

A different way to accomplish this is through tagging questions, a relatively new feature in Quizzes.Next that was not available in Quizzes Old. The instructor can apply relevant tags, such as Quiz 1, to questions in the item bank, and can then conduct a search when adding the items from the bank. How do I manage item banks in Quizzes.Next? and How do I edit an item bank item in Quizzes.Next? detail the tagging and metadata capabilities.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mmoore1
Community Contributor

Yes, this is a great idea because you already have the questions created on the previous quizzes.  What I would suggest is to make each quiz group similar to one of your previous quizzes then randomize that group. For example, you can  pull 5 random questions from 20 questions.  Here is the Canvas explanation. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12979-415298624  

0 Kudos
ree32466
Community Member

I already have that done.  What I was trying to say was I want to randomize the groups for the questions, not just the questions in the group.  Everything I have found is no, it can't be done.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ree32466 , you are correct that you can't randomize the order of your quiz question groups, just the order of the questions in the groups. 

Kona

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I went back and reread your original question and the only things I can think of is adding all questions into one big question group - but that would prevent you from making sure a certain number of questions were picked from each quiz. Something else you could do is separate the quiz questions into multiple question groups. So 2-3 question groups for Quiz 1. Then you could mix up the order of the different question groups (quizzes). 

ree32466
Community Member

Yeah, I have thought about 2-3 questions per group but we are talking 14 quiz banks into a 125 question exam with each quiz bank needing a specific number of questions to mimic a national certification exam.  Thanks for your help!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That definitely sounds like a challenge!

Hi Rick,

Just FYI; I marked Kona's response as Correct, not because it contains a way for you to accomplish your goal but instead because more specifically it answers the question, 'Can I do X' which unfortunately in this case you cannot.

sarah-canatsey
Community Participant

I have several faculty who would like this same functionality. This would make it easier to create tests with a set number of hard, medium, and easy questions... or as you want: use quiz banks to create a final. I’ve recently submitted this function as a request for Quizzes.Next (since any cry for change in Quizzes is futile). Hopefully it’ll get approved and up for vote soon. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

For those of you participating in this conversation, this is possible to accomplish in Quizzes.Next using item banks.

Quizzes.Next allows the instructor to pull a specified number of questions from an item bank, as described in How do I add all items or a random set from an item bank to an assessment in Quizzes.Next? The instructor can repeat this step as many times as required to build the assessment.

The instructor would then toggle the Shuffle questions option in Settings to randomize the delivery of the questions. How do I manage settings for an assessment in Quizzes.Next? details the settings that are available in Quizzes.Next assessments.

Quizzes.Next is available to all paid Canvas accounts. It is a separate tool from old Quizzes, which means that both quiz tools can be used simultaneously in a course for those wanting to test the waters. The Quizzes.Next User Group‌ has additional information, so please check it out.

Getting back to the original question—which was to pull quiz questions from other quizzes—no, that can't be done in either quiz tool, but since the quiz questions from previous quizzes also reside in item banks, the assessment can be built from questions used in previous quizzes via the add-from-item-bank item bank function.

A different way to accomplish this is through tagging questions, a relatively new feature in Quizzes.Next that was not available in Quizzes Old. The instructor can apply relevant tags, such as Quiz 1, to questions in the item bank, and can then conduct a search when adding the items from the bank. How do I manage item banks in Quizzes.Next? and How do I edit an item bank item in Quizzes.Next? detail the tagging and metadata capabilities.

0 Kudos