cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chasedimarco
Community Participant

Interactive Videos

Jump to solution

Does Canvas have any functionality for interactive course videos? I know I have seen this on other MOOC videos, but then I forgot about it and just started looking again. I was able to find a free app for it here: Create Interactive Videos For Your Online Course . It also allows for one to collect information and even have quiz questions during these pre-set interactions. However, if I don't need even more accounts for all of the things I wish to implement in my course than I'd rather use an already existing Canvas one if there is one.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chasedimarco
Community Participant

I noticed an older thread that mentions Office Mix, but that's only for PowerPoint which I'm not using. Also Zaption, but seemed they stated it didn't link to Canvas LTI. This video seems to show analytics and response viewing that could be useful, but it would be easiest if everything talked (used Canvas LTI).

A third states Kaltura will allow this and even import into Canvas Gradebook? If anyone has experience with these I'd greatly appreciate the advice. If nothing else, I would like some way to store the information, even if not to the gradebook. Then it can be used for course surveys or some other data collection method.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kenneth_rogers
Community Champion

Hi there,  @chasedimarco !

There is an additional service that Instructure has called Arc that will integrate with Canvas - but it is not free. You can look over the Arc website or go through Guides: Arc for more information. You may also want to watch the InstCon '17 session - . We don't have Arc at our institution, but I've seen a demo of the product and think it's completely incredible. 

I'm going to loop in Higher Education‌ to see how other folks are approaching interactive videos at their respective institutions. Also, because there may be one "correct" answer to your question, I am going to turn this question into a discussion. Don't worry - the conversation will still happen in this space!

kendra_jarvis
Community Contributor

You can create an interactive quiz with Google Forms How to Make an Interactive Review/Quiz using Google Forms - Google Docs 

chasedimarco
Community Participant

I noticed an older thread that mentions Office Mix, but that's only for PowerPoint which I'm not using. Also Zaption, but seemed they stated it didn't link to Canvas LTI. This video seems to show analytics and response viewing that could be useful, but it would be easiest if everything talked (used Canvas LTI).

A third states Kaltura will allow this and even import into Canvas Gradebook? If anyone has experience with these I'd greatly appreciate the advice. If nothing else, I would like some way to store the information, even if not to the gradebook. Then it can be used for course surveys or some other data collection method.

View solution in original post

chasedimarco
Community Participant

This link has probably been the most complete and useful list I've seen. It includes interactive video suggestions, quizzes, feedback, live interactions, and more.

Hi,  @chasedimarco ‌. You can invest in an interactive video service, but you could also create a pretty good interactive experience with Canvas quizzes:

gramos
Community Participant

I've been using Edpuzzle - it doesn't import into Canvas, but they have their own gradebook you can export.  (I haven't done that myself since I only need to know if students have watched the videos, not necessarily their scores, but it's possible.)

chasedimarco
Community Participant

Some of the functions I was really looking for are:

1. In-video questions that can also record replies

2. Still count the analytics towards the YouTube video "views" 

3. Preferably capture replies for self-recording grades in Canvas

Since none seem to do everything I wanted (at least not that I could find, and not for free) I think I'm going to go with Vizia, which can export responses to a Google sheet. Then use Flubaroo to grade them. Then I still have to import manually which is less than ideal, but at least it should have most of the functionality I was looking for.

How much is Arc? I can't find a price on the website. Not being clear about pricing always makes me nervous about a product.

chasedimarco
Community Participant

I'm looking at more options again as I fear Vizia might not be around in a year or two and don't want to switch everything over at that time.EdPuzzle and PlayPossit have great functionality, but too expensive for me to do now. Even at $8-20/month for each service really adds up if using several services. Most of the rest I have explored are missing vital functions.

I'm surprised there aren't more complete and affordable resources for this. At least, not that I have been able to find.