Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsasso
Community Contributor

Internal Link Icon

Jump to solution

Hello Canvas Community!

This may sound like a strange question, but one worth asking Smiley Happy

The Canvas style icons are recognized by screen readers and it reads out to the user whether the link is an external link or a file to preview or download. I do not see an icon for an internal link that could also be read by screen readers.

Could a style icon be added for 'internal link'? I'm thinking it'd be a mirror image of the 'external link' icon (attached).

Perhaps it's not feasible for such an icon or it goes against common web design, but it could certainly help users with screen readers to gain a sense of place and not be lost.

Just throwing this out to the larger community in the hopes someone has an idea or suggestion.

Many thanks,

Rosie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rsasso ‌

Not strange at all! This is a very important accessibility concern - hyperlinks should identify where they will take a user. I don't think Canvas has a style icon for the purpose you ask, so my suggestion is to always create a logically named link. In other words, if you are sending your students to a Canvas page about dinosaurs, then label the link something like, "Information about Dinosaurs". or "Course Page that Talks about Dinosaurs".

You could even find or develop your own icon for use in your courses, but if you do this be sure to include alt text that describes it as a link to a location within your Canvas course, and include that location in the alt text.

I hope this helps,

Agent K

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rsasso ‌

Not strange at all! This is a very important accessibility concern - hyperlinks should identify where they will take a user. I don't think Canvas has a style icon for the purpose you ask, so my suggestion is to always create a logically named link. In other words, if you are sending your students to a Canvas page about dinosaurs, then label the link something like, "Information about Dinosaurs". or "Course Page that Talks about Dinosaurs".

You could even find or develop your own icon for use in your courses, but if you do this be sure to include alt text that describes it as a link to a location within your Canvas course, and include that location in the alt text.

I hope this helps,

Agent K

View solution in original post

rsasso
Community Contributor

Thank you Agent K! I appreciate your response and suggestions!

jcivitella
Community Participant

I actually have a similar question (I believe) but with regards to a universal icon that is displayed on the lefthand menu. For example, our school would like to create an icon that would appear on everyone's lefthand menu that links to a certain site. Is this possible from an admin account? Is it possible at all? Thanks in advance.

Jon