cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elad33
Community Member

Is Auto-Open deleted or broken?

Jump to solution

The "Enable Auto-Open for Inline Preview" option no longer works for pdfs. This feature is describe here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12868 

Did this feature get deleted or is it just broken?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nswinehart

I was just helping an instructor with a similar problem and found a workaround:

1. After you insert the file (disregarding inline preview for now), go to the HTML editor.
  2. Locate the file link; it should say something like <a class="instructure_file_link" title=...
  3. Paste this snippet instructure_scribd_file auto_open so that it now reads <a class="instructure_file_link instructure_scribd_file auto_open" title=

Hope that serves as a short-term workaround, and that Canvas support resolves the issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@elad33 ‌, I just created a new page and embedded a PDF in it using the instructions in the lesson, and the auto preview worked right away. Have you asked Canvas Support to take a look at this for you? If you already have, would you please provide the case number?

Thank you Stefanie for checking on the situation. It sounds like there must be some issue on my end. Unfortunately I do not have access to Canvas Support. 

@elad33 ‌, this is how you would contact Canvas Support from your school district, ideally initiating the process from the page on which the issue is occurring:

301958_canvas support.png

Please refer to How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?

Oh my - hadn't seen that before. I always right-clicked on the question mark which took me somewhere else. I will report it and see what they say. 

Thank you for sticking with me. 

I have a case number now: 03892065

nswinehart

I was just helping an instructor with a similar problem and found a workaround:

1. After you insert the file (disregarding inline preview for now), go to the HTML editor.
  2. Locate the file link; it should say something like <a class="instructure_file_link" title=...
  3. Paste this snippet instructure_scribd_file auto_open so that it now reads <a class="instructure_file_link instructure_scribd_file auto_open" title=

Hope that serves as a short-term workaround, and that Canvas support resolves the issue.

Stephanie, we submitted Ticket #03767641 on Nov 15, 2018 with this issue.  The last word I had from them was on 12/29/18:  "I have looked into your issue and it looks like its still in the engineers hands. They are actively working on this issue to get a fix in place for it. I will leave this ticket with the status of "On Hold" so that you receive a notification as soon as they have an update on the issue."

It has become a major issue with our faculty.  One of our faculty also found the work-around Nick identified, but we desperately need Canvas to get this resolved.  It worked great so it is frustrating that something caused it to break at the expense of our students.

@judy_harmon ‌, our engineers continue to work on a fix. While I don't have a specific timeframe to share, you and anyone who has submitted a ticket will receive notifications on the progress toward implementing a solution.