Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
holcombsp

Is Canvas LMS able to provide "record of completion" for PD

Jump to solution

Thinking about offering up our current Canvas instance as a viable replacement for our district's current PD tool but was wondering if Canvas can serve as a "record of completion" for teacher and admin PD as well as possibly create certificates for said completion.

thank you!

1 Solution
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@holcombsp ​, I don't have direct experience with the automatic awarding of certificates, and as it is currently configured Canvas doesn't have this capability. I suggest you add a description of your use case--and your upvote--to this popular feature idea that remains open for voting and is currently in the "Gathering Info" stage:

Also, in the event your school has an Articulate Studio license, I see from a previous discussion here in the Community that it's possible to configure an Articulate Storyline project (and apparently Quizmaker as well) to generate certificates (but not award them automatically): LMS Generated Completion Certificates

View solution in original post

11 Replies
bbelew
Community Contributor

Forewarning I don't deal with PD and am strictly a nerd and not a teacher so my terminology for this might be WAY off but here are my thoughts. 

I haven't seen any LTI addons that can do that but having never looked really closely I could have missed something.    In Canvas i've never seen a way to generate a certificate, but you could do badges with an LTI addon in it's place.

Are you awarding hours or points?   If you were awarding points you could maybe just break each topic into a course, and modules.  Then just manually generate a certificate once the teachers and administrators have completed a group of modules?

Hours would be harder to track unless the PD was all done in the building and not virtual.   Guess it could work the same way as above,  just figure X hours per module and total it on a manually generated certificate.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@holcombsp ​, I don't have direct experience with the automatic awarding of certificates, and as it is currently configured Canvas doesn't have this capability. I suggest you add a description of your use case--and your upvote--to this popular feature idea that remains open for voting and is currently in the "Gathering Info" stage:

Also, in the event your school has an Articulate Studio license, I see from a previous discussion here in the Community that it's possible to configure an Articulate Storyline project (and apparently Quizmaker as well) to generate certificates (but not award them automatically): LMS Generated Completion Certificates

awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @holcombsp 

You may also want to check out Instructure's semi-new product Canvas Catalog. As I understand it, this product is specifically designed to handle non-credit courses and has good support for certificates. This product does come at an additional cost over the normal Canvas LMS subscription.

Shameless plug, I did an interview with  @dlyons  and Deactivated user about Canvas Catalog, which you can find here: Episode 3 - Canvas Catalog Interview by The Canvas Podcast

cwendt
Community Champion

@holcombsp ​, I don't think there is a way to award actual certificates HOWEVER, Canvas is capable of recording items completed and awarding Badges. If you complete/walk through Badges for Learning (Fall-2015), you will see that participants can be awarded badges just for viewing material (in which case, it would be on the honor system), completing a quiz, uploading an assignment, etc. It is set up in modules and you can even structure it so that participants cannot advance until they have completed the previous requirements. Badges can be awarded manually or automatically, upon completing credits. Also see Canvabadges

I think that this would be an absolutely AWESOME way of doing PD, since the teachers would likely want to know how to implement it in their own classrooms!

joseph_allen
Community Champion

I think what we're looking for here is a transcript.  A digital record of completion that an individual passed a course.  Something that an administrator could print out a report of who has completed a given course or alternatively, an individual could see what courses they have completed over a period of time.  This really has nothing to do with certificates or badges. This is not a public display of completion, it is the organizations record keeping of who has completed a given course.  It is critical in compliance training for things like sexual harassment, safe schools, information protection, etc.  States and school districts need lists / databases of people who are in compliance, and have completed a course in the LMS.  That is not usually the function of certificates and badges.   Completion transcripts are one of the very basic pieces of functionality in a corporate LMS, but not so much in an academic one like Canvas and the others on the market.  If think if Canvas wants to expand in the PD market for teachers, this is essential functionality. 

@joseph_allen ​, the aforementioned feature idea remains open for voting and participation, so please add your valuable feedback there. You also might want to investigate the paid solution Instructure already offers in the form of Canvas Catalog.

0 Kudos

Stefanie, we have the Canvas Catalog and I find it to be a very incomplete product so we are not using it. I'm happy to get into those reasons, but I don't think it is relevant for this post.  As I stated in my earlier comment, I think the original author of this post  @holcombsp  , was thinking along the lines of me that we are not interested in generating a certificate, but rather a centrally housed digital record of completion.  A transcript.   We need to go beyond the idea of printing out a piece of paper that says "I did it".  While some individuals may want the badge or certificate, we need a database of completions for compliance and analytics purposes.   

0 Kudos

Canvas does retain all student records for all courses that are not deleted, so assuming the PD courses have not been deleted from the account it seems to me the records would all be there. Am I missing something?  @holcombsp  can you give us some additional feedback based on the suggestions mentioned and let us know if there's anything else you're looking for?

Hi  @joseph_allen ​,

I'm happy to report that transcripts in Catalog are coming. In fact, I am told that they are being worked on in this current sprint, so soon. Teachers/learners will be able to print/download this from their Catalog dashboard. Good news, right? It's been the top feature request in K-12 for Catalog, and something that comes up in about 90% of my Catalog meetings/demos with Canvas schools/districts that want to use Catalog for PD. I have a sample transcript that Product shared with me recently that I would be happy to show you one of these days if you like.

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Kristy, I'd love to see the transcript sample that you mentioned.  Transcripts really go to question of 'who completed this'.  There needs to be a robust reporting function in Canvas that an organization can run that shows who has, and who hasn't completed a given course or activity. This is the bread and butter of corporate LMS systems.  There also needs to be a user side as well, where a user can look at a profile of themselves and see what courses they have completed, when, and some other details.   A printable certificate is nice, and some people prefer to download and display those, but in terms of a real transcript, the reportable data record is what is most important.  Compliance training such as Sexual Harassment, Safe Schools, Information Security, OSHA, and others require organizations to know exactly who did what when and these comprehensive transcript records will often be saved for many years.  One other challenge Canvas currently has, is that there is no definition of complete.  For example, in any course, students can be enrolled, but you don't know if they 'completed' the course.  In the academic world, maybe you could assume the student received a grade A-F, or dropped and that is their record, but in the Professional Development world, there likely is not a grade, just a completion record.   There has to be a mechanism for the instructor to mark people complete vs. those who were on the roster, but failed to attend or failed to meet the completion criteria.  Also, self-paced learning created through SCORM or other methods need to automatically mark itself complete when the defined completion criteria is reached.  That may be, you have viewed every page, you have completed a quiz and attained X score, or something else.  I'm happy to discuss further if you are interested.   Thanks!

Hi Joe, thank you for this feedback! I would definitely like to discuss this with you further. I'll chat with Alen about joining one of your

upcoming weekly calls. Does that work?

Thanks!