cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dking2
Community Participant

Is TestGen Compatible with Canvas?

Jump to solution

I have created a test on Pearson's testing application but wondered how to import it into Canvas.  Is this possible.  From the looks of the list, it is not but wondered if there were any tricks out there.

Attached is a screen shot, should that help.

Picture of my TestGen application

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dking2 ‌

Yes they can be, and it is relatively easy if you are familiar with TestGen. Simply export your Quiz from TestGen as a QTI file, then Import into Canvas. Here is some general help on importing QTI files How do I import quizzes from QTI packages? 

And I just found this resource that might be helpful https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5154 

I hope this helps,

Agent K

View solution in original post

8 Replies
dking2
Community Participant

Never mind!  I figured it out!   Whew!   Thanks for the moral support. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dking2 ‌

Yes they can be, and it is relatively easy if you are familiar with TestGen. Simply export your Quiz from TestGen as a QTI file, then Import into Canvas. Here is some general help on importing QTI files How do I import quizzes from QTI packages? 

And I just found this resource that might be helpful https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5154 

I hope this helps,

Agent K

View solution in original post

That's our favorite job, Donna!

Glad you figured it out.

Agent K

dking2
Community Participant

Very helpful. I originally thought I had it figured out but then realized I did not and your answer was timely! THANK YOU!

Donna

barbara_may
Community Participant

YES! Thank you! I have years of TG files and banks.

TG is highly underrated - I hope it imports well...will try.

Barbara

gwied
Community Participant

OK, I am delighted with the ability to export exams from TG as QTI files! But how about exporting question banks from TG?

I am working with a professor who is concerned that TG will "go away", partly because he no longer uses the textbook that gained him access in the first place, but also because we are trying to do "everything" in and with Canvas. A lot of time and effort has been invested over the years to create large and logical test/question banks in TG - it would be a shame to lose this structure!

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Workflow workarounds?

Thank you!

PS. Regarding TG: Just looking at the screenshots of TestGen here, I am really impressed with how much better it is than Respondus or Canvas - feature-rich and versatile. And apparently, it's actively maintained/updated.

gwied
Community Participant

Migrating TestGen "testbanks" to Canvas

You cannot export a testbank per se, but as explained elsewhere in this thread, you can export tests. I learned the following from Pearson tech support:

You need to make a mock-exam out of a portion of your TestGen library - e.g., I have a textbook-based testbank with 16 chapters. Since each chapter is roughly speaking, a subject, I will export 16 different QTI files (all logically named) as "tests", and thus obtain 16 new Question Banks in Canvas.

In TestGen:

1. create new exam - right side of TG screen is blank, with "untitled..." as the name
  2. reveal the sub-folders of your testbank library.
  3. drag-and-drop one of these folders, (e.g., "Chapter 1" of a textbook testbank) from the left side to the right side.
    All the content of that folder is added to the new test.
  4. with the right side of the TG interface selected (the test you are creating) click the "sort" button 
    323729_pastedImage_3.png
  5. choose "keep questions in the same order as they are in the testbank" 
    323731_pastedImage_5.png
    This will help you get the questions into Canvas QB in a recognizable order.

I'm not certain that steps 4 and 5 matter, since the order inside the Canvas qb is what we care about.
  6. save the test, then export it as QTI, described elsewhere in this thread 
    323732_pastedImage_6.png

In Canvas:

1. I assume you know how to import QTI file to a question bank.
  2. In the new question bank, you'll notice the questions are in strict alphabetical order according to their "question title". Where did that question title come from? It came from the "Question ID" assigned by TestGen.
    (Perhaps this question ID is editable, but the testbank I am dealing with is locked)
  3. Edit a few question titles: The problem with "question ID" is that serial suffixes "-1", "-2", "-3", etc do not sort numerically, rather alphabetically. Thus in the Canvas qb, a question title ending in"-3" lists after a question tile ending in"-29".  I imported a testbank chapter containing 80 questions, so I need to edit EIGHT question titles to have the leading zero, thus: "-1", "-2", "-3", etc. becomes "-01", "-02", "-03", etc.
  4. Exit the qb, then go back in - your questions are now in the right order (i.e., the order they were in the TestGen testbank)
yoffema
Community Member

Just to clarify:  With this solution, does the imported exam become a standard gradeable Canvas quiz, with all the usual features (ability to specify start and stop times, order of possible answers can be randomized, scores are automatically graded by Canvas and imported into the Canvas gradebook, etc.)?