cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryan_cloyd
Community Participant

Is There A "What-If" Attendance Tool?

Jump to solution

I used to work in an Intensive English Program where the international students' continued student visa status relied on them reaching 85% or greater in class attendance and it often times got tricky trying to use Roll Call to let the students know when they were reaching that 85% cut-off. In Roll Call Attendance, is there any way for a teacher to input the amount of classes per term and allow the student to be able to see how many classes they can miss before they get below a certain percent of attendance points (kind of like the "What-If" score in the gradebook)? Is there a "What-If" Attendance that can show students how many classes they can miss before they lose too much to recover from?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ryan_cloyd .  Admittedly I am not an expert in Roll Call so perhaps someone else reading this question will know of something I do not, but I am unaware of any way to use a "what if" feature with the attendance tool.  I am also not an expert in policies related to international students, but if the feature you are looking for is not possible with Roll Call, based on the number of class sessions in a term could students be told the maximum number of absences permitted to still reach 85% attendance and then utilize the Canvas tool to track where they stand in relation to this number?

From a quick overview, I see many feature ideas related to Roll Call but nothing that relates to what-if functionality.  You could consider adding an idea so that members of the community can vote on this and provide their insight.  These documents explain the feature idea process.

How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14904-75187841184 

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ryan_cloyd .  Admittedly I am not an expert in Roll Call so perhaps someone else reading this question will know of something I do not, but I am unaware of any way to use a "what if" feature with the attendance tool.  I am also not an expert in policies related to international students, but if the feature you are looking for is not possible with Roll Call, based on the number of class sessions in a term could students be told the maximum number of absences permitted to still reach 85% attendance and then utilize the Canvas tool to track where they stand in relation to this number?

From a quick overview, I see many feature ideas related to Roll Call but nothing that relates to what-if functionality.  You could consider adding an idea so that members of the community can vote on this and provide their insight.  These documents explain the feature idea process.

How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14904-75187841184 

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post