cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

Is anyone having issues with viewing all files in a folder?

Jump to solution

I uploaded a bunch of PowerPoints, and cannot see them.  I try to upload them again and a "number" is put at the end of the file name because the file already exists.  However, I cannot see them.  Any suggestions? 

104134_pastedImage_0.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobDitto
Community Champion

This bug has been fixed:

• After viewing a file, other files in same folder disappear (CNVS-22597)

View solution in original post

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kelli_ritter ​...

Can you please clarify what you mean by "I cannot see them"?  Are you trying to click on one of the files to preview it within "Files"?  Have you tried accessing these files in another browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?  Please let us know...thanks!

kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

Yes.  I needed to download PowerPoints in one course to load them in another course.  I could see links to the PowerPoints I wanted to download in the module view but could not find the PowerPoint in the file view.

Module View:

104493_pastedImage_0.png

When I click on the link I see the ppt with the following file name:

104494_pastedImage_2.png

I did not show the whole file view in the screen shot I attached earlier but I could not see the ppt file referred to in the screen shot above.  Yes, I did check all other folders.  I knew the ppt file was in the folder because there was a link to it and when I tried upload the same file to the same folder again it added a version number to the end of the file name.

Note:  I checked the Files again and can now see the files.  Files has been very unpredictable to me.  Sometimes I click a link and can see files and sometimes I cannot. 

Regarding this:

Sometimes I click a link and can see files and sometimes I cannot.

I suggest reporting it to your institution's local Canvas administrators as a potential bug.  At many institutions which use Canvas, bug reporting can be done by clicking Help and choosing to Report a Problem.

On behalf of Penn, I previously reported two bugs related to files disappearing from folders and have "On Hold" cases with Canvas Support -- which means that Instructure is aware of these bugs. Feel free to mention one of these in your own problem report if it sounds similar to what you see:

• Files don't consistently load in folders (CNVS-19799)
meaderj
Community Participant

I see this same issue regularly.  My workaround is usually to choose another option, then click back on Files.  On a couple of occasions, I had to log completely out of Canvas and back in.

I also see intermittent issues with the Pages link, the Modules link, and the Canvas online help search function.

@meaderj , have you submitted a help ticket (or perhaps multiple tickets--one each for Files, Pages, Modules, and Help) about this? Canvas Support can do a better job of identifying and then squashing bugs if it has many reports on the same issue(s) from a diverse field of users. If you haven't yet submitted a ticket or tickets, you can include the URL to this discussion as well as  @RobDitto ​'s reference numbers (thanks, Rob!) in your ticket(s) for context.

meaderj
Community Participant

No, I have not yet.  I consider this a refresh issue that has an easy workaround.  I am too busy to respond to questions for clarifications about tickets for non-critical items.  When/if I can find the time, I will.

RobDitto
Community Champion

This bug has been fixed:

View solution in original post

kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

Thank you!