cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aa96a3f048cdb77
Community Participant

Is it possible to copy/duplicate rubrics?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to copy or duplicate a rubric? I use the same basic rubric for every project but change some of the details each time. I'd like to be able to create my general rubric and then copy it, instead of having to build basically the same structure from scratch each time.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

aa96a3f048cdb775279b489381f0bb91112d81d9bbe8978a9397b4e3a266bd0e​, built into Canvas directly, no. Is it possible, yes! Basically you need to use the "Import Content into this Course" tool in Canvas to copy the rubric you want back into the course. See directions below:

While in the course that has the rubric, go to your course settings and click on "Import content into this course." Click "copy a Canvas course" from the drop down and type in the name of the course you are in (yes, you are going to basically copy your rubric back into the course!). VERY important here - make sure and click the "Select specific content" option - then click Import.

When the button comes up for you to select your content, click on it and then find the rubric (or rubrics) you want to copy from the list of your course content and "select content".

Once it's done you will see a copy of your rubric in your Rubric list, make sure and update the name of this copy before making any additional copies of the rubric (if needed).

I also created a quick video showing and explaining these directions - 08.19.2015-10.20.05 - KonaJones's library

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

If you import from course 1 into course 2 and then try to import a rubric from course 1 into course 2 again (to create a duplicate) it won't work. I just tested this last night. Yet, if you copy course 2 (specific rubric) into course 2 then it will create a duplicate. I tested this last night and it worked - it just added a (1) to the end of the duplicate rubric.

16 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

aa96a3f048cdb775279b489381f0bb91112d81d9bbe8978a9397b4e3a266bd0e​, built into Canvas directly, no. Is it possible, yes! Basically you need to use the "Import Content into this Course" tool in Canvas to copy the rubric you want back into the course. See directions below:

While in the course that has the rubric, go to your course settings and click on "Import content into this course." Click "copy a Canvas course" from the drop down and type in the name of the course you are in (yes, you are going to basically copy your rubric back into the course!). VERY important here - make sure and click the "Select specific content" option - then click Import.

When the button comes up for you to select your content, click on it and then find the rubric (or rubrics) you want to copy from the list of your course content and "select content".

Once it's done you will see a copy of your rubric in your Rubric list, make sure and update the name of this copy before making any additional copies of the rubric (if needed).

I also created a quick video showing and explaining these directions - 08.19.2015-10.20.05 - KonaJones's library

Hope this helps!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

aa96a3f048cdb775279b489381f0bb91112d81d9bbe8978a9397b4e3a266bd0e,  @kona ​ has outlined the best way for accomplishing what you're after. I'm admittedly a chicken when it comes to copying content from a course into the same course (and it's a bit too meta for my comfort level :smileylaugh:), so I like to create my rubrics in a sandbox course and then import copies of them into my "live" course as needed.

I'd also like to call your attention to this feature idea that would allow teachers to make use of Canvas Commons​ as a rubrics repository:

amanda_youngblo
Community Participant

I did this and it didn't create a duplicate, it just overwrote the original (even though I had changed its name).  I think that perhaps each rubric is assigned a number and if you reimport that rubric, it overwrites it instead of duplicating it.  This seems like a more recent issue, since this work around worked in the past.

If you import from course 1 into course 2 and then try to import a rubric from course 1 into course 2 again (to create a duplicate) it won't work. I just tested this last night. Yet, if you copy course 2 (specific rubric) into course 2 then it will create a duplicate. I tested this last night and it worked - it just added a (1) to the end of the duplicate rubric.

jim1
Community Member

Thank you, Kona Jones  - great, clear lesson.

smmeza
Community Member

Great explanation. Worked perfect for me. This saves tons of time.

dan_stone_ky
Community Participant

How about implementing this approach in Canvas instead. Go to the rubric. Hover over it. "Copy" "Delete" "edit" appears. Choose copy. You are done.

1 keystroke versus a required youtube video to figure out how to do this. 

@dan_stone_ky ​, if you're interested in seeing changes made to Canvas functionality, please post your suggestions in Canvas Feature Ideas​. While the feature ideas process is currently on hold (and for that, have a look at Changes Coming to Canvas Community Feature Ideas​), once it resumes, your idea will evaluated for consideration.

I went through the Feature Ideas space very quickly, and found this remedy suggested by  @biray ​ (no YouTube video viewing required! Smiley Happy😞

Have you tried creating a (fake/unpublished) assignment, then adding a rubric to the assignment (be sure to choose from existing rubrics), then editing the rubric's title/criteria (or whatever aspects of the rubric you want to modify)? By doing this, you essentially leverage one rubric to create a new one. When you go back to your list of rubrics, you should see the new version of the rubric listed.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you're interested in this topic you might be interested in a new canvancement‌ by  @James ‌ that allows you to create a rubric in a spreadsheet and import it into Canvas - Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet.