cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhowes
Community Member

Is it possible to edit the subject line of an email notification?

Jump to solution

When a user has their notification preferences set to receive email it seems as though messages sent from Canvas to the user's email address all have the same subject line of, "[John Doe] just sent you a message in Canvas."  The subject of the notification (or conversation) within the Canvas inbox is then found in the body of the email.

Is it possible to edit the subject line in the email notification either through the API or admin settings?  For example, we might choose to use the same subject as the user sees in their Canvas inbox.

Thanks very much,

Jamie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Jamie,

I think I've seen this discussed some in the community before and know that others have wanted to do something similar.  From the admin interface there is a way to change the Sender for Canvas notifications, but no way that I know of for changing the subject line.  It might be possible from an API, (Conversations API: How to create messages with a new subject ) but I'm guessing that is only going to work for messages you create with the API; not message created the traditional way in Canvas.  

Here is one feature request from about a year ago, but it didn't seem to get many votes https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10112 

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Jamie,

I think I've seen this discussed some in the community before and know that others have wanted to do something similar.  From the admin interface there is a way to change the Sender for Canvas notifications, but no way that I know of for changing the subject line.  It might be possible from an API, (Conversations API: How to create messages with a new subject ) but I'm guessing that is only going to work for messages you create with the API; not message created the traditional way in Canvas.  

Here is one feature request from about a year ago, but it didn't seem to get many votes https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10112 

Rick

View solution in original post

Hey Rick,

Thank you very much for the reply.

We are actually using the API to create the messages and we have no problem setting the subject.  It's when that message gets forwarded to the user's email that we don't see a way to change the subject for the email -- which ends up being in the format, "[John Doe] just sent you a message in Canvas."   

My guess is that it can't be adjusted, but I figured I'd ask to be sure.

Thanks again,

Jamie