cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EvanDonovan
Community Participant

Is it possible to have different Canvas Syllabus pages for different sections of the same course?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to have different Canvas Syllabus pages for different sections of the same course?

We have an undergraduate and graduate section of a course which are cross-listed. We need to have the two sections have different syllabi. Is it possible to use the Canvas Syllabus feature for this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chadscott
Community Contributor

What you could do is hide the syllabus navigation item for the course and then make a page for each syllabus. Then add these to a module. You could also add a link on the homepage to these pages.

If you must have them in the navigation menu, you could use the Redirect app and grab the URLs to each syllabus and add them that way.

Cheers,
Chad Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lsacal
Community Participant

Hello! I also have this question. I need to enable the chat por the same course un multiple sections. Is it possible? I have course with more than 400 students. So I need a chat idividually for each section. 

chadscott
Community Contributor

What you could do is hide the syllabus navigation item for the course and then make a page for each syllabus. Then add these to a module. You could also add a link on the homepage to these pages.

If you must have them in the navigation menu, you could use the Redirect app and grab the URLs to each syllabus and add them that way.

Cheers,
Chad Scott

View solution in original post

EvanDonovan
Community Participant

Thanks, Chad, for letting me know. So it sounds like the Redirect Tool is basically a way to add external URLs to the navigation menu.

We had considered just adding them to the first module of the course, but we definitely would prefer section-specific syllabi if possible, since that was something our previous LMS, Populi, had.

EvanDonovan
Community Participant

Hi, , I am new to Canvas, so I don't know the answer to your question, but I think you may want to create a separate post for it. It may be that the capabilities of Canvas per-section for Chat are different than for the Syllabus page.

According to Chad's response, Canvas only supports one Syllabus page per course regardless of sections. But you could ask in a different post whether that is different for Chat.

Lsacal
Community Participant

Thank you very much. Do you have documentación for that? 

chadscott
Community Contributor

@Lsacal all documentation for Instructors can be found in the Instructors Guides -

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/tkb-p/Instructor

Cheers,
Chad Scott