Is it possible to have multiple assignments contribute to a single grade entry in a course gradebook?

Jump to solution
lukeh
Community Explorer

Hi,

As far as I can tell each new assignment creates a new column in the course gradebook. Is there a way to have multiple assignments contribute to one column entry in a course gradebook? So for example, there would be multiple assignments that come over the year, and as students complete them, this score increases.

Right now we have a very large number of assignments in our gradebook and we would like to add a lot more, that are not essential assignments, but contribute to a nominal "extra participation" score for the school year. Adding an assingments for each would make the gradebook too clutttered.

Is this possible? Or is there another solution that could achieve similar results?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi  @lukeh   My feeling is that this is going to become a discussion around how to achieve something like what you are asking for as opposed to a question with one right/wrong answer.  As far as I know, there is now way to create multiple assignments that populate a single column of the gradebook.  The new grade book does have a lot of options for filtering the grade columns, which may help in your situation (see How do I filter columns by type in the New Gradebook?).  

There are probable a number of ways the creative folks here have found to accomplish what you would like to do.  One option I can see is a single assignment that can be continually updated.  Here you would create a single assignment and have a rubric attached where each week constitutes a separate row of the rubric.  Since students can submit assignments multiple times, they could re-submit the assignment each week and the instructor could update the grade in the rubric to reflect a new week's submission.

I hope this helps, and if we do start hearing other hacks for this situation I'll switch this from a question to a discussion!

All the best---

View solution in original post

0 Likes