cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k_saar
Community Member

Is it possible to import questions into Canvas (and /or Question Bank) from an Excel Spreadsheet or CSV file ?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to find an efficient way to get questions into Canvas which are currently in Excel format. The purposes is for teachers to the use the Angoff method to rate the questions.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ebissoon
Community Participant

Hi Kacper,

I think that the feature you want is unavailable at the moment. Someone did submit this before as a Canvas Feature Idea but it didn't reach the 100 vote threshold. So, for the moment the process of importing questions via a csv file (or similar) won't be added to Canvas (see this: Importing question banks ).

It's unfortunate as I think that this would be an essential part of Canvas and had I known about this I would have voted on it. A pity that Canvas can't be a bit flexible on this as a good idea is still a good idea regardless of how many people vote on it...

Eric

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ebissoon
Community Participant

Hi Kacper,

I think that the feature you want is unavailable at the moment. Someone did submit this before as a Canvas Feature Idea but it didn't reach the 100 vote threshold. So, for the moment the process of importing questions via a csv file (or similar) won't be added to Canvas (see this: Importing question banks ).

It's unfortunate as I think that this would be an essential part of Canvas and had I known about this I would have voted on it. A pity that Canvas can't be a bit flexible on this as a good idea is still a good idea regardless of how many people vote on it...

Eric

View solution in original post

k_saar
Community Member

Thank you Eric

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@k_saar  and  @ebissoon ​, and for anyone else running across this discussion, Canvas is in the midst of a massive overhaul of its Quizzes feature, and you can read more about it in Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine. I recommend that you have a look at the scope of the project and the extensive discussion surrounding it, and follow it to your inbox along with Quizzes.Next: Modern Quizzing in Canvas so that you will be informed when the video of the InstructureCon 2016 presentation is made available.

ebissoon
Community Participant

Thanks Stefanie,

Just had a quick look at the Canvas Studio and I can see a few things if interest to me and our school.I'll be sure to take a closer look at this in the coming weeks before the start of the new academic year. Many thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@k_saar ,  @ebissoon , & stefaniesanders, actually I'm not so sure that you can't do this.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you want or how easy it would be to do, but on the following blog  @James  goes through how to use Excel to generate information (formulas) that can then be added into Canvas - Looking Up Values in Formula Questions. My recommendation is to review this blog and see if this might be able to work for your situation.

abunag
Community Champion

Natively, there's no way to do it right now.  As  @kona ​ pointed out though, there are some workarounds that may work for your particular situation.  In addition, stefaniesanders​ mentioned the Quiz engine overhaul - I was at one of the sessions about it, and the question was asked on if there will be a way to do an excel/csv/word upload, and they mentioned that while they don't have that in place yet, it is planned for the next version of the quiz engine - they just need to figure out what would be the most useful way to have that set up for the end user.