Is the Student Annotation submission type compatible with the Student App?

Jump to solution
CarlaD07
Community Explorer

When the Student Annotation submission type was release in May we were really excited about being able to use it. When we tried choosing the Annotation Submission type, we found it to not work on the Canvas Student App on iPads and instead when back to uploading PDFs into the RCE that students could then annotate on within the app. A few teachers were just looking into it and watched this video about the release, and pointed out that in the video it states students can also make annotations in the student app. 

Is the Student Annotation submission type supposed to be compatible with the Student App? If not, will it be in the future so teachers can utilize it to create assignments where students can annotate on other file types (beyond PDFs) within the Student App?

Labels (2)
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @CarlaD07 -

This has come up before in the Community!

While annotations have been technically available for Canvas Student users for a while now, the difference is that the instructor needs to select File Upload as the submission type and it's limited to .pdfs.  (It sounds like you're aware of this though!)

How do I submit a PDF assignment with annotations in the Student app on my iOS device? 

There is currently an idea open in the Idea Exchange. 

Enable the Student Annotation assignment type in the Student App 

I think it would be a great place for you to add to the conversation. Remember to rate (star) the idea as well! 🙂

View solution in original post