cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
connor_slagowsk
Community Member

Is the client_id and the consumer key the same thing?

I am starting to learn about the OAuth workflow for my first LTI and I have to pull information from the API. However, I am completely stuck. I know the Consumer Key and the Consumer secret are agreed upon by both parties and entered when the app is added by the admin to the Canvas instance. I also know that the client_id is the number generated with the Developer Key. 

I am confused how all of these variables work together to develop the OAuth token that can be used access the Canvas API.

Any and all help that I can get on this matter would be highly appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pklove
Community Champion

The first thing to clarify is which LTI version you want to use.  Given you mention consumer key and secret, it sounds like a 1.1 tool. 

But if you are just starting out, you might be better going straight to 1.3 as 1.1 is deprecated (see, for example,  https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2019/07/30/what-does-the-recent-ims-lti-depreca... ).

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening,  @connor_slagowsk ...

I am reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  While I don't really have any additional information to share, I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on September 23, 2019.  I see that pklove had provided you some feedback a day later.  Have you had a chance to review Peter's response?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from members of the Community with your question?  If you feel that Peter has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click on the "Mark Correct" button next to his reply.  However, please post a note below if you are still looking for some assistance from Community members.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" (How we keep your questions flowing!‌) because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost six months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Connor.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.