Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hydeag

Is the student view different in a development site?

Jump to solution

I am developing a new class using a development site in Canvas.  My first week's sections are all published but the student view does not show them.  There are no dates in the settings.  Does the student view work differently in a development site?

Tags (1)
1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hydeag , I’m not sure what you mean by a development site. At our school our faculty sometimes build in sandboxes - which is a label we made up ourselves (not an official Canvas term) to refer to Canvas courses without students and that are used as a place to build and try things out with no repercussions. Yet, it’s still a real Canvas course and everything works just like a real course.  

Is this development site housed within the same environment as your regular Canvas courses (so same dashboard and listed with your other courses)? If so, then it should function like a regular class. 

Just to double check, are the actual modules published as well as the individual content items in the modules? If they aren’t both published then students (test student) wouldn’t be able to view the content. 

Kona

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hydeag , I’m not sure what you mean by a development site. At our school our faculty sometimes build in sandboxes - which is a label we made up ourselves (not an official Canvas term) to refer to Canvas courses without students and that are used as a place to build and try things out with no repercussions. Yet, it’s still a real Canvas course and everything works just like a real course.  

Is this development site housed within the same environment as your regular Canvas courses (so same dashboard and listed with your other courses)? If so, then it should function like a regular class. 

Just to double check, are the actual modules published as well as the individual content items in the modules? If they aren’t both published then students (test student) wouldn’t be able to view the content. 

Kona

Two things were not done, and your comments drew me to the answer.  I  had all the sections published, but not the modules.  I also had a starting date and ending date, but I don't know if that mattered anyway.  But to answer your question, my college uses the term "development site" which is the same as your sandbox - I actually like your term better.

Thank you for your comments, they solved my issue.

Alan

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm glad my response was helpful in you figuring out the problem!