Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevec
Community Contributor

Is there a better way to comment on test/quiz responses?

Jump to solution

I get very frustrated when grading exams because there doesn't seem to be a simple way to comment on answers. If I use the "additional comments" box, I have to update scores every time, or they go away. I'm not even sure how those additional comments present themselves to students. I've used the standard comments box, but since that shows responses to the entire quiz instead of to the individual question, I have to mark each response according to what question it refers to. Is there a quicker, more streamlined method of responding? If not, is there a "feature request" that I didn't find that I could weigh in on, or one that needs to be started?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This lesson from the Canvas Guides will give you an idea of how students view quiz feedback: What do Quiz results look like in Canvas for students?

Although the images don't specifically show the instructor feedback, students will be able to view the feedback you enter in the "additional comments" field as a separate general comments-type bubble directly under their response.

I just tested the grading process using a quiz consisting of five essay questions. Rather than updating the scores each time, I simply entered the comment under each question in the "additional comments" field and the grade for the question in the grade box. I scrolled down until I had completed grading the quiz, and then hit the "Update Scores" button a single time. All of my quiz scores and comments saved. It was an exceptionally quick process.

Are you grading each quiz in its entirety, or are you grading using the Grade One Question at a Time functionality? If the latter, you will definitely have to update the score each time you grade that question for a particular student...and that particular process could probably stand some improvement. You might want to add your feedback to this feature idea, currently open for voting:

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Great point,  @chofer ​! I ran a simulation on this using my trusty Demo Student, but Student View would work equally well, especially for those for whom a Demo Student is not an option.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@stevec ​, so we can evaluate your question in the appropriate context: Are you referring specifically to quizzes composed entirely of essay questions?

stevec
Community Contributor

Yes. All essay questions.

This lesson from the Canvas Guides will give you an idea of how students view quiz feedback: What do Quiz results look like in Canvas for students?

Although the images don't specifically show the instructor feedback, students will be able to view the feedback you enter in the "additional comments" field as a separate general comments-type bubble directly under their response.

I just tested the grading process using a quiz consisting of five essay questions. Rather than updating the scores each time, I simply entered the comment under each question in the "additional comments" field and the grade for the question in the grade box. I scrolled down until I had completed grading the quiz, and then hit the "Update Scores" button a single time. All of my quiz scores and comments saved. It was an exceptionally quick process.

Are you grading each quiz in its entirety, or are you grading using the Grade One Question at a Time functionality? If the latter, you will definitely have to update the score each time you grade that question for a particular student...and that particular process could probably stand some improvement. You might want to add your feedback to this feature idea, currently open for voting:

Hope this helps!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @stevec ​...

Just to add to what stefaniesanders​ has already correctly stated, I wanted to also ask if you've tried viewing your quiz with essays using Student View?  In case you haven't tried Student View yet, here's the Guide on how to access it: How do I access Student View?

Great point,  @chofer ​! I ran a simulation on this using my trusty Demo Student, but Student View would work equally well, especially for those for whom a Demo Student is not an option.

stevec
Community Contributor

Perhaps the problem is that I'm going question by question instead of grading each student's complete quiz.. I use Chrome, and when I finish a comment on one student's second question, I move to the next student's second question. If I go back, the comment to the first student's second question will have vanished.

@stevec ​, apart from the fact that I'm using Firefox and not Chrome, my experience was the same as yours. I found that I could grade one question at a time by simply entering scores, and those scores were saved whether I clicked the "Update Scores" button or not. However, when I entered comments in the Additional Comments field, those comments were only saved if I clicked the "Update Scores" button each time and before navigating to the next student.

On the other hand, when I graded each student's complete quiz in its entirety, I was able to enter scores and comments for each question and only had to click on "Update Scores" at the end. While this is certainly a faster way, it doesn't adhere to the spirit of the "Grade one question at a time" functionality. Improving that functionality is the stated first goal of Speedgrader 2.0 , and I hope you'll add your feedback there as well as to the aforementioned feature idea :

grammarbydebora

I also wish I could comment inline.  I just need to add a [s/pl] for singular plural error or [verb] when they left out the verb.  In Word, I highlight the verb error and they have to figure out how to fix it.  I wish I could do that in Canvas.

I'm currently grading the first short essay and, for those submitted in text, I copy and paste into a new Word document and then upload the Word document with corrections.  I hope the students will be able to figure out how to download the responses and have Word or the ability to see the text from a Word document on their phones.  Maybe I'll need to go to Google Docs?

whitney_clay
Community Contributor

I second this: "I also wish I could comment inline."