cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rachel-gatewood
Community Participant

Is there a glitch with the voting buttons?

Jump to solution

I am new here and I have been voting and my votes have been being cast as "down votes" even when I have never clicked that button. Always the up button.  Is there a glitch?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

The bit about adding two is not strange at all.

Changing a down vote into an up vote results an a net gain of 2 votes in the overall score. The reason is that removing the down vote adds back the 1 point that had been taken away by the down vote. Then you change it to an up vote and that adds 1 vote as well.

Take, for example, this feature idea:

184799_pastedImage_0.png

73 people have voted up, 1 person voted down, a total of 74 people have voted. The difference between up and down is 73-1=72, which is the score.

If the person who voted down removes their down vote, they have not voted, so there are 74-1=73 people who have voted. The down vote was removed, so there are no 0 down votes. The overall score goes to 73-0=73.

If the person who down voted changes their vote to up, then it gets removed, so it's now 73 up, 0 down, score = 73. Then their up vote is registered. So there are now 73+1=74 people who have voted. All 74 have voted up and no one has voted down. So it's 74 up, 0 down, and a score of 74-0=74.

The score is now 2 higher at 74 than it was at 72.

The bit about why the scores were marked as down votes in the first place may be a mystery. I know that I found the new look confusing and found myself almost clicking on the "Vote down" to see who had voted down. It was on a screen with no down votes and I saw the "3 votes up" and thought they had removed the list of people who had down voted (people who vote down often get flack from people who like the idea - like you did with your colleague who wanted to know why you voted down). Luckily, I caught myself before I down voted, but it was confusing at the beginning.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Rachel,

This is the first report we have had.  Usually you can change your vote from up to down and back whenever you want.  Are you not able to do that?

Great question - I'm new to the community and figuring things out slowly so maybe I'm missing some easy fix. When I was up voting  last week I noticed that the total number of votes went down and initially I just assumed that other people were voting down at the same time as I voted up. Later a colleague asked me why I had voted down a good idea and we went and looked.  That particular idea was archived and no longer open for voting but the other ones I went in and changed my vote and it registered correctly this time but added 2 up votes each time....strange huh???

The bit about adding two is not strange at all.

Changing a down vote into an up vote results an a net gain of 2 votes in the overall score. The reason is that removing the down vote adds back the 1 point that had been taken away by the down vote. Then you change it to an up vote and that adds 1 vote as well.

Take, for example, this feature idea:

184799_pastedImage_0.png

73 people have voted up, 1 person voted down, a total of 74 people have voted. The difference between up and down is 73-1=72, which is the score.

If the person who voted down removes their down vote, they have not voted, so there are 74-1=73 people who have voted. The down vote was removed, so there are no 0 down votes. The overall score goes to 73-0=73.

If the person who down voted changes their vote to up, then it gets removed, so it's now 73 up, 0 down, score = 73. Then their up vote is registered. So there are now 73+1=74 people who have voted. All 74 have voted up and no one has voted down. So it's 74 up, 0 down, and a score of 74-0=74.

The score is now 2 higher at 74 than it was at 72.

The bit about why the scores were marked as down votes in the first place may be a mystery. I know that I found the new look confusing and found myself almost clicking on the "Vote down" to see who had voted down. It was on a screen with no down votes and I saw the "3 votes up" and thought they had removed the list of people who had down voted (people who vote down often get flack from people who like the idea - like you did with your colleague who wanted to know why you voted down). Luckily, I caught myself before I down voted, but it was confusing at the beginning.

View solution in original post

rachel-gatewood
Community Participant

The two up after changing a vote makes sense! Thank you for such a clear description. On the other note - ah...the famous "user error" - yes that must be it as much as it pains me to admit. Smiley Wink Thanks for helping me to figure it out!

rachel-gatewood
Community Participant

So it happened again but I found a temporary fix - I just clicked the vote up again and it fixed my vote. Attached are the screen shots from my first up vote and then my secondScreen Shot 2016-05-25 at 9.59.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-25 at 9.59.54 AM.png

Would it be possible for you to take a video of what's happening? That would be much more useful than screen shots because we could see the sequence of events in real time. My recommendation for this type of video would be TechSmith | Jing, Free Screenshot and Screencast Software or Screencast-O-Matic (both are free).

rachel-gatewood
Community Participant

Okay - so it must be some sort of user error - I'll let you all know if I can figure it out.  It is a good thing that there are so many good ideas because I was able to try to recreate the issue many times but was unable to - I'll assume it is my error.  Thanks for your help!!!

awarmar
Community Participant

Rachel, I've accidentally clicked on the "down" vote several times (once on a feature request of my own that is up for voting, haha) since the new look. Thankfully it's easy to fix. So at least know that you aren't alone--others are having these "user" issues too! Smiley Happy

cdoherty
Community Participant

It is not user error. It has happened to me many times that I click the Vote Up button and it registered as a Vote Down. Sure, I can fix it by clicking Vote Up again, but that's really not an acceptable solution, as there are probably many people who don't notice this is happening. I have found this to be an intermittent issue which makes it all the harder to reproduce in a screencast (and more likely that it will go by unnoticed if it only happens one out of 10 or 20 times).