cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cohenf
Community Participant

Is there a maximum to number of pages in "Pages"?

Jump to solution

Is there a maximum number of pages one is permitted in a course?

If there is no technical limit on number of pages, then, at about what number of pages, would "Pages" function not perform optimally?

At what number of pages might the course portal, generally, not perform well?

FYI, I am looking at about 400-500 pages for this particular course.

Thank you for your help.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@cohenf ‌, 

Canvas Doc Team got back and mentioned after some research and consulting the Support Team! See full thread on this guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10935-4152724253 

251317_pastedImage_2.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Hi  @cohenf ‌! Just as a practical matter, the Pages feature of Canvas has very limited management features (no folders, no labels, no search... it is much more primitive than the Files area in that sense). Is there a reason why you want to build all that content in Canvas?

I regularly build hundreds of pages of content for my courses, but I do that all on a blog platform; that way I have lots of ways I can configure the blog (the sidebar is powerful!), there are great navigation options (labels provide instant navigation), there is good search for me and for students using my content, etc. I even use a blog for my Canvas homepage; I can do way more with class announcements by using a blog space:

Daily Announcements: MLLL-3043 Myth-Folklore S17 

My summer project is an Aesop's Fables resource that is chugging along at almost 1500 pages / posts now. 🙂

Aesop's Books: illustrated fables you can read online 

So, blogging has been the perfect solution for me.

There are other great content development options like wikis, Google Drive, etc. Google Drive, in particular, has a Canvas integration that could be useful.

Anyway, as a serious content developer, I think I would lose my mind trying to maintain 20 or 30 Canvas Pages; 500 pages would drive me bonkers. 🙂

For people realizing how out of control their Canvas Pages are getting without Folders, see this discussion:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7532-allow-folders-in-pages 

People's frustrations are very real, but using other tools solves that problem, at least for me. Unless you have a special reason to keep content private, there are lots of ways/places to publish content.

cohenf
Community Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. I do make heavy use of those options (files, blog) and others to deliver content. I have a very specific reason for using "Pages" this way for this course, but it's not essential.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

If you do go that route, I'd set up  a very specific page naming convention and stick to it scrupulously! That might be a good sanity-saver. 🙂

cohenf
Community Participant

Thank you.

kblack
Community Champion

For what it's worth,  @cohenf ‌, while I'm not aware of a course site with the numbers you're thinking of, I went to a course site that I'm aware of at my institution with a "mere" 124 pages (yes, I counted them) and things went just fine in the course site.  But to be sure, it IS annoying to get to the "View All Pages" screen and not be able to quickly scroll through them or do a quick CTRL-F to find a specific page you're looking for...you have to wait for the page to fully load. This 120-page course definitely takes a few seconds to load the pages, so a 400+ page site would take even longer.

As laurakgibbs‌ wisely suggests, consistent page-naming will be critical if you go this route.  For example, the pages in this site are consistently named along the lines of Learning Objectives for Module 2.3Required Readings for Module 2.3Videos for Module 2.3, etc. 

cohenf
Community Participant

Thanks.  Yes, I have an orderly, logical naming convention, but all my visual, audio, and print content delivery is done through hyperlinks in my assignments and, so, students never need to search for,the content. Your observation on loading time, however, has deterred me from using "Pages" in this way anyway.

cristinanistor
Community Contributor

@cohenf  I don't know if there is a limit, but if there is it's not 500.
I've just tested by importing some Commons courses to a sandbox in our instance. 

James
Community Champion

I must admit that I was confused by your quotes around the word "Pages" and perhaps took it the wrong way last night when I saw this. Are you referring to the navigation link called Pages or using the quotes to distinguish content pages (where you create content) from web pages (anything in Canvas)?

If you have a lot of pages, but you don't make the Pages navigation link available to the student, then students shouldn't see a noticeable delay except, perhaps (untested), when they are using the Rich Content Editor. The sidebar that allows them to link to internal content may load the entire list of pages and that might take a while.

But if that navigation link is disabled, they're never going to be using Ctrl-F, and the loads should be faster. In other words, it may be slow for you setting it up, and it might be slow if a student goes to add a link from the editor, but otherwise the student experience should not be noticeably slower.

Again, I'm speaking theoretically, I haven't actually tested it. But I think the warning that  @kblack ‌ is talking about is the index page that lists all pages and serves as the page manager. Making everything in the course makes it possible to track when students do things (if you link externally to content, it doesn't track), but so does making them a file -- and some of your content could be put in there to minimize the number of content pages.

I'm not saying to have 500 pages, but it may not be bad for the students IF you hide the Pages navigation link. If you don't hide that, then it will be a nightmare of an experience.

cohenf
Community Participant

I used quotes around capital-P pages to refer to the Canvas-specific function (and navigation-link) labeled "Pages." Sorry for the confusion. Yes, that's what I thought  @kblack  was referring to.  I always hide Files, Assignments, Quizzes navigation-links to accustom them to access all work through Syllabus>Course Summary or Home>To Do/Coming Up. My goal is always fewest clicks possible. So, hiding Pages navigation link is consistent with that approach. Thank you,  @James ‌.