cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SethBattis
Community Contributor

Is there a roadmap for theming the mobile web login?

I see the CSS and JavaScript uploads for the mobile apps (Custom mobile CSS and JS file not loaded​ seems to suggest there are some hiccups there), but I don't see anything about trying to theme the login as viewed through mobile browsers. And there's nothing in the Theme Editor that seems to point this way.

A quick test suggests that the CSS for the old UI still works on the mobile browser login, which suggests to me that the mobile browser login is disconnected from the whole theme-based architecture?

Short version: should I invest in slapping together some styling to handle mobile browser logins, or will this be fixed at InstructureCon?

Authorial aside: mobile browser logins are going to keep happening until the Canvas app is useful for teachers.

Tags (2)
8 Replies
SethBattis
Community Contributor

Sigh. Further probing of this issue reminds me that the mobile apps use the mobile browser login, which means this affects _every_ mobile login. I've opened a new feature request idea -- would love others feedback and insight on it:

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Seth,

You are correct in that the Theme Editor itself doesn't support the mobile login, just the browser version. However, customization for the mobile login can currently be made through a custom CSS file (the regular one, not the mobile one). More information about the clarification of each css file has been made in the discussion that you previously linked.

Thanks,

Erin

abunag
Community Champion

During Instructurecon this came up.  There will be three new apps - Parent, Teacher, Student - to replace the current app (and speedgrader).  Those new apps will pull in the branding already set in the New UI theme editor.  If I remember correctly (I unfortunately can't find my notes on it) Parent is coming soon, then the other two will follow later (I think early next year).

SethBattis
Community Contributor

Including, one hopes, the branding for the login!

Since Anthony was the one to say it (and not me), I can now change the answer to this question. Smiley Happy The apps will support more branding options, but until then you'll still have to apply mobile styling in your regular CSS file.

Thanks,

Erin

Sigh. I just styled our login for the opening of the school year, and it turns out that I actually have to use Javascript _and_ CSS to make it work, because the background is loaded in the styling of the body tag, and the only way to override that without screwing up _every other page_ on Canvas, seems to be to do a Javascript check to see if #f1_container is present on the page and then applying styling to the body tag via Javascript.

Blergh.

Here's what's working for me right now.

SethBattis
Community Contributor

In fact, I notice that the web login does have a conveniently styled body tag: body.ic-Login-Body

Weird how the mobile login seems to just be hacked together and ignored.

Hi  @SethBattis ‌,

I tried to apply your solution with no luck. Could you give me a hand and some instructions on how to change the mobile login logo?

0 Kudos