cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bberry
Community Member

Is there a way for students to upload a folder and its contents to Canvas?

Jump to solution

I am teaching HTML and I need for them to be able to upload the folder with their notepad document(s) and images.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @bberry  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Unfortunately not; it MUST be a file. However, what programming instructors at my own institution will typically do is have the students upload all of their material into a zip file, and they then submit the zip file for the assignment. In fact, you can create an assignment and pretty much require that type of file upload by specifying it as a required file type as outlined under the Restrict File Types heading on this lesson: How do I create an online assignment? 

And, in case you're curious, you can still download all student submissions at once as a zip file, so you can have a zip file of all the zip files.  Downloading all submissions is covered here:  How do I download all student submissions for an assignment in SpeedGrader? 

I hope this helps, Bonita!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @bberry  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Unfortunately not; it MUST be a file. However, what programming instructors at my own institution will typically do is have the students upload all of their material into a zip file, and they then submit the zip file for the assignment. In fact, you can create an assignment and pretty much require that type of file upload by specifying it as a required file type as outlined under the Restrict File Types heading on this lesson: How do I create an online assignment? 

And, in case you're curious, you can still download all student submissions at once as a zip file, so you can have a zip file of all the zip files.  Downloading all submissions is covered here:  How do I download all student submissions for an assignment in SpeedGrader? 

I hope this helps, Bonita!

View solution in original post

aublumen
Community Member

That is exactly what I have my students do for a similar class.  It's quite easy and teaches them a skill that is pretty critical (applies to emailing etc.). The first time around, I add screenshots to the assignment instructions and do a demo.