cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weisiger
Community Member

Is there a way to create a sign-up sheet?

Jump to solution

I need students to be able to sign up for one of two field trips. It needs to allow students to sign up only once and limit the number of students who can sign up for each date. Is there a way to create such a sign-up sheet? I could do this with a doodle poll, but Canvas flags the poll as an insecure site that most Canvas users won't be able to access. I could do this with a Google form, but then people have to open a Google account to sign up. Is there a way to do this simply in Canvas?

Tags (1)
17 Replies
alawson-johnson
Community Participant

I second Chris's input on the use of google form. In fact, I just used it for students to sign-up for review sessions. I highly suggest that you contact the google support and ask that question. They have been fast and efficient in responding to my questions.

DRBROOKS
Community Member

As a workaround if you are still having issues, have you considered Doodle or Google Forms? In the past, instructors have sent out emails with the links to form groups or determine the best time for a study session. I suppose you could try to put the link in Canvas (it would lead to the external tool/form/poll).

I do know that Google Forms is free and very customizable. Maybe they use Drive to import it?

jbuchner
Community Contributor

How about Canvas Groups with self-sign up and limited enrollment? Make the group homepage all about the details of the field trip. You could also then assign work to groups related to which trip they take.

Mary Ann:

As you have heard, the Canvas Scheduler is problematic for mobile users.

Another option might be to create and upload a GoogleForm. You can set the parameters for single sign-up in Google during creation, and Google provides a great spreadsheet of the schedule for your use. You can even post the spread sheet in the classroom so that students can view it. Googleforms update in real-time when posted to a website such as your Canvas classroom.

You can find out how to do this here: Create a survey using Google Forms - Docs editors Help

I hope this helps.

mpoole
Community Participant

I will second the idea of using a google form.  I use a google form add-on called Choice Eliminator to do sign-ups all the time.  You can determine how many times a particular item can be chosen and then once that item has been chosen, it is no longer available as a choice to anyone completing the form.

I embed the form into canvas but don't require any kind of login, so students simply put in their name and then click the time they want.   Here's a screenshot one I've used recently to have faculty sign up for summer PD meetings.  I like that using google forms, I can get other info. in addition to just scheduling the time, like questions or a description of what they want to talk about.  Once when I was doing signups for a student project conference, I asked them to include a link to the project they were working on in the form so that when I got the google form responses, I had a nice spreadsheet of students' signups and their links.

Summer_Tech_Talk_Sign-Ups.jpg

kedgecomb
Community Champion

When I saw this post, the first thing that came to mind was Google Form.  We have used these for voting, sign-up sheets, etc.  They are very simple and easy for the end-user.  I ditto the Google Form responses above! 

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @mpoole ​; I can't wait to start using Choice Eliminator!

Thanks for all your suggestions. The scheduler isn't the best solution to my problem, because I want a group of students to schedule for the same time (a field trip, broken into two days to keep numbers lower), not at different times. What I ended up doing was using an Excel spread sheet, which allows me to draw a colored line at the bottom of the number of slots open and allows students to see who has signed up, so that they can choose to sign up for the same day that a friend is signing up, if they choose. But a sign-up sheet (for which there are on-line templates, but designed for, say, a bake sale) seems like something Canvas should offer, without having to create a work-around.