cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
massimiliano_ru
Community Member

Is there a way to get the IDs of students who rated a post?

Hi all,

in case of discussion topics with allowed ratings I would like to get for each entry/reply a list of users who rated it. Is it possible to retrieve somehow this piece of information?

Thank you for the support.

Best regards,

M

6 Replies
James
Community Champion

@massimiliano_ru  

There is information kept on what a particular user has liked and which messages they have read. However, that information is available only to that user. This information is available through the Canvas API, not the web interface, which throws up another barrier for people accessing it. 

Since I am a Canvas admin as well as a teacher, I have a script that I wrote that goes through and masquerades (acts as) each student and downloads whose messages they liked and which messages they read. I pull all off that into a mostly comprehensive report for a discussion that contains everything I can think of except for how many times they viewed the discussion (that's under the Access Report and not available through the API).

For most people, everyone but an admin with the ability to masquerade as the students, the answer to your question is no, that information is not available. For a Canvas admin, that information is available, but not easily obtained.

Thank you for your reply, James. I was also thinking that the only option is to "act as another user" and iterate over all the students but it becomes very time-intensive. Your script would be perfect but I assume your script is not sharable, am I right?

It's not up to the level of debugging that I like to give most of my scripts, but I have been using it for a couple of years and have shared it with a few people who are willing to accept its potential shortcomings.

I would consider myself as one person "willing to accept its potential shortcomings".

@massimiliano_ru , 

Sorry, I missed this last week. I just now found your message. I'm sharing it with your email address at ie.edu. If you have really large discussions (large number of posts or lots of students), it may timeout fetching the date because it tries to masquerade as each student and that takes some time.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@massimiliano_ru ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie