Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Champion

Is there a way to have students NOT see all assignments?

Jump to solution

I'm writing courses for multiple students to start in multiple places.  Is there way to format the page so that the students ONLY see the assignments that they've been given, even if they get a link to the assignment page?

1 Solution
michellez
Community Contributor

Hi  @9927744  - Yes, there is.  When you as the instructor go to the "assignments" you can see whether the assignments are published.  If they are published, there will be a green circle with a check to the right of the assignment. For the assignments you do not want students to see, simply hover your mouse over that circle and click it. It will allow you to "unpublished" the assignment.  Then, those assignments will still remain visible to you but not to the students (even when they link to the assignments page).  You can change them back to "publish" at any time in the same way when you are ready for students to view them. Good luck. I hope this helps. #published and unpublished#assignemnts

View solution in original post

3 Replies
michellez
Community Contributor

Hi  @9927744  - Yes, there is.  When you as the instructor go to the "assignments" you can see whether the assignments are published.  If they are published, there will be a green circle with a check to the right of the assignment. For the assignments you do not want students to see, simply hover your mouse over that circle and click it. It will allow you to "unpublished" the assignment.  Then, those assignments will still remain visible to you but not to the students (even when they link to the assignments page).  You can change them back to "publish" at any time in the same way when you are ready for students to view them. Good luck. I hope this helps. #published and unpublished#assignemnts

Shar
Community Champion

Hi Jennifer Carpenter,

The advice given in the other thread pointed to differentiating assignments by students and section. If you have many students getting the same set of assignments, I highly recommend using sections with in the course.

How do I add a section to a course as an instructor? - to setup the sections

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13056-4152724652 - to add students to the sections

These sections will have nothing to do with enrollment and are just local to the course, but it's a easy way to make sure that all students in the same set(section) get the right assignment without having to individually remember who got what assignment and risk missing one.

Cheers - Shar

Community Champion

Thank you, Sharmaine!  That is what I needed.  I am going to give it a try and see how it works!