cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard_ireland
Community Participant

Is there a way to have students take a quiz that's visible to the teacher, but not graded?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to have students take a quiz that's visible to the teacher, but have it where it does NOT count as a grade?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can access students scores with a practice quiz. Speedgrader doesn't show up, but you can still view student quiz results (the entire quiz, their responses, and their grade) through downloading the quiz scores and/or viewing them from Canvas via "Show students quiz results" (dropdown from gear icon).

If you are interested in turning this in to extra credit, here are the directions for a points based gradebook -

• Create a regular quiz
  • Provide point values for each question. (making the quiz worth "X" amount of points - the total number of points the extra credit should be worth.)
  • Publish the quiz and have the students take it.
  • Once all students have taken a quiz and received a score; this score is recorded in the gradebook.
  • Edit the Quiz and change the Quiz type to a Graded Survey worth "0" points.
  • The student will then receive whatever extra credit value they earned.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@richard_ireland ,

One thing you could do is to created a graded quiz and place it in an Assignment Group that is worth 0% of the total grade.  This would allow you to see the submissions and "grade" the quiz, but have it not count as a real grade in the total.

Robbie

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@richard_ireland ​, have you considered using a "practice quiz" - What are the different types of Quizzes? - "A practice quiz can be used as a learning tool to help students see how well they understand the course material. Students do not receive a grade for practice quizzes, even though the quiz results display the number of points earned in the quiz. Practice quizzes do not appear in the Syllabus or the Gradebook."

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@richard_ireland , these are two equally great answers! Could you post back to let us know which one you plan to use, and if possible, mark that one with the "Correct Answer" flag?

I realized this, but I use total points. Thanks for the idea though.

richard_ireland
Community Participant

Can I see students' scores on a practice quiz?

Well I don't use total points, so I'm out of luck there. 

Also, am I able to see what student's get on their practice quiz?

The reason I ask is because I want to make an extra credit assignment that I will add to their grade as a percentage at the end of the semester.

Yes, you can access students scores with a practice quiz. Speedgrader doesn't show up, but you can still view student quiz results (the entire quiz, their responses, and their grade) through downloading the quiz scores and/or viewing them from Canvas via "Show students quiz results" (dropdown from gear icon).

If you are interested in turning this in to extra credit, here are the directions for a points based gradebook -

• Create a regular quiz
  • Provide point values for each question. (making the quiz worth "X" amount of points - the total number of points the extra credit should be worth.)
  • Publish the quiz and have the students take it.
  • Once all students have taken a quiz and received a score; this score is recorded in the gradebook.
  • Edit the Quiz and change the Quiz type to a Graded Survey worth "0" points.
  • The student will then receive whatever extra credit value they earned.

View solution in original post

richard_ireland
Community Participant

Kona,

Thank you for your help. 

It just seems like a lot of work to set a quiz as extra credit. 

I 100% agree! I suggest checking out this feature idea - . It's currently archived, but my recommendation is to comment on why this would be useful/helpful and "follow" it so you'll be alerted to any updates.