cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_sanzin
Community Champion

Is there a way to locate students who were not created by the SIS?

Jump to solution

We have had a few issues with our imports from PowerSchool.  Some students were not getting imported and our previous Canvas admin was manually creating those students.  I believe I have ironed out the import issue. I figured out   (with help from this awesome community) that it was due to the students not having email addresses entered in to PowerTeacher Gradebook, PTG. They were entered into PowerSchool with emails, but for some reason these were not in PTG. Now I believe I need to delete those manually created accounts because they are blocking the SIS from creating accounts that will properly link grades and course, due to the fact that the manually created accounts share the email with the accounts PowerSchool is now trying to create.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@james_sanzin  ,

Start off with the Provisioning Report under Admin > your account > Setttings > Reports. Check the Users.csv box. Do not check the "Created by SIS" checkbox when running the report because then you'll only get those created by the SIS and you want the list that wasn't. The report has a column called "created_by_sis" which is either TRUE or FALSE and you're looking for those with a FALSE.

I'm not sure exactly what TRUE in the created_by_sis column means, but it includes users created through a SIS import. I'm not sure if creating them through the API calls triggers that. It is more than just having a SIS ID in there as you can get TRUE for a user that has been edited to remove the SIS ID.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@james_sanzin ‌, I'm not sure of the answer to this question, but I'm going to share it with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=45165c2e-3a27-463f-a899-...‌ group in the Community to see if they can help. If you haven't already, you might consider joining this group so you can viewt their resources and information. 

James
Community Champion

@james_sanzin  ,

Start off with the Provisioning Report under Admin > your account > Setttings > Reports. Check the Users.csv box. Do not check the "Created by SIS" checkbox when running the report because then you'll only get those created by the SIS and you want the list that wasn't. The report has a column called "created_by_sis" which is either TRUE or FALSE and you're looking for those with a FALSE.

I'm not sure exactly what TRUE in the created_by_sis column means, but it includes users created through a SIS import. I'm not sure if creating them through the API calls triggers that. It is more than just having a SIS ID in there as you can get TRUE for a user that has been edited to remove the SIS ID.

View solution in original post

james_sanzin
Community Champion

Thanks  @James ‌!