Is there a way to make an equation with an arc in Canvas?

Jump to solution
Community Champion

I'm writing a geometry course, and of course, they use equations with circle arcs.  I can't find a way to write this equation.  Any suggestions?  I've been limited right now by making a picture of an equation with an arc.  I'd rather do it all in Canvas instead of copying and pasting pictures; my files will get too unwieldy!

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@9927744 ,

There are a couple of tricks you can use. Both involve switching into the Advanced View of the equation editor. There you can enter LaTeX, but there's not an \overarc command.

There is an \overparen command and an \overset command that you can combine with \frown to simulate the arc. The \frown looks terrible for anything other than a single character, so you have to play tricks like making the \frown larger or the text under it smaller. The \overparen will grow with whatever is inside of it, but it loses it's roundness the more characters there are.

297924_pastedImage_2.png

Here is the LaTeX code I entered. The ~~ is just a double space to separate things.

\overparen{A}~~\overparen{AB}~~\overparen{ABC}
\overset{\frown}{A}~~\overset{\frown}{AB}~~\overset{\frown}{ABC}
\overset{\frown}{A}~~\overset{\Large\frown}{AB}~~\overset{\Huge\frown}{ABC}

Some people also use {\small ABC} with {\Large\frown}

The font sizes you have in LaTeX include \tiny, \scriptsize, \footnotesize, \small, \normalsize, \large, \Large, \LARGE, \huge, and \Huge.

View solution in original post