Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjacklin

Is there a way to mass unpublish content you import into a course?

Jump to solution

I'm importing content into a course from last year and there roughly 150 assignments, files, and quizzes. Is there a way to mark these items so they don't publish when importing? It feels like a waste of time to manually unpublish each and every item that was imported into the new course. I would think the default should be unpublished instead of published? Is there an angle I'm not seeing regarding this process so that default makes more sense?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As an update to this, if you use https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8585-adjust-all-assignment-dates-on-one-page?sr=search&sear...‌ then you'll get a list of all assignments in your course (quiz, discussion, & assignments) and can not only change the dates on one page, but also change the publish/unpublish status.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
garth
Community Champion

There is an option to select what content you want to import.

If you don't want the assignments, files and quizzes, you can de-select them.

Take a look at this how-to article:  How do I select specific content as part of a course import? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canvas Guid...

I hope this helps.

Thanks Garth,

I'm familiar with the import specific content process. In this case, I want all of the content, however, I just don't want it to import as published. Smiley Happy The ability to import all of the assignments and get them set up so all I have to do is publish them when the time comes is really what I'm looking to do.  Anything that would allow me to stream line the process would be most helpful!

garth
Community Champion

Ok that helps.

You could write a script to manage the publishing for you.

Are you familiar with the Canvs API?

Let me know, I can guide you to the calls you would need to make.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Short answer is that no, there isn't a way to do this. You could use this work around for pages - Bulk Publish / Delete Pages - but it wouldn't help with files and assignments.

In regards to the why things are published, I'm not sure, but as to why it's never been a huge issue for me is that I don't have files, pages, discussions, or quizzes visible to students --> I only have Modules. Thus it's easy for me to go through my 16-18 modules (filled with my assignments, files, and pages) and decide which should be published (as a complete module) or not for the beginning of each semester. I know that doesn't help you much, but it seems to work ok for me.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@rjacklin , even though this feature idea is currently archived, it appears to be on Canvas's drawing board:

rjacklin

This is likely an unpopular answer, although I personally am squarely in the "mass unpublish on import" camp, this year I'm encouraging our 6th-8th Grade staff to create Master template courses which have all of their course content in it (pdfs, assignments, quizzes, discussion, etc.), but unpublished with no due dates. The hopes is that besides just being a handy place to store all of their course content, it truly provides them a place to house all of their used and unused course material. Some faculty view this as double work, but updating master template courses is just another end of the year duty like organizing classrooms and submitting grades for permanent records. It should be awesome for incoming teachers as all of the content that was previously used fo a course is readily available.

I don't have 100% buy, so we'll see what happens! Again, this idea isn't my first go-to option, but I think it serves the purpose; as long as teachers are importing content from master courses, the unpublish issue shouldn't be a problem.

Rob

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As an update to this, if you use https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8585-adjust-all-assignment-dates-on-one-page?sr=search&sear...‌ then you'll get a list of all assignments in your course (quiz, discussion, & assignments) and can not only change the dates on one page, but also change the publish/unpublish status.

hazelcoltharp

I would like this feature as well; since this is a bit late to the party, is there any updated information or progress on this?