cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thompsli
Community Champion

Is there a way to preserve section-specific due dates and assignments during course copy?

Jump to solution

I have a math class with a "regular" track and an "accelerated" track. The "regular" track, in general, has one major topic a week and gets through the 7th grade standards for the subject, and the "accelerated" track has two major topics a week and gets through both the 7th grade and 8th grade standards. (This is somewhat of a simplification, but works for the actual question I have.)

In Canvas, we've been managing this with both tracks in different sections in the same Canvas course. (This makes it easier for students to move between tracks during the year if they get overwhelmed and need to move down or discover that they have time and would like a challenge and move up.) Each section has different due dates for pretty much all assignments all year long. (I put the "accelerated" assignments in a big lump on a weekend for the "regular" students, and they know they can try them if they finish early and choose to. Accelerated students get them intermingled with the regular lessons during the school week.) (Prior to using Canvas, I just gave all of the students a list of when things were due for their track and didn't use the due date options in my old LMS but rather left everything dateless.)

Sadly, this seems to mean that I have to re-input an entire year's worth of section-specific dates each year since only the "everyone" dates seem to carry over. Is there a better way? I have handwritten notes of exactly when to schedule everything into, but it's still a lot of clicking.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@thompsli  

This is such an interesting thread!  I love how you are differentiating your course.  You might want to write up a description about how you do this in the Instructional Designers‌ group (if you haven't already - I didn't look).

It seems like the answer to your question is that this isn't possible now.  Would you submit a feature idea so that others who are interested can rally around it?  Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

That is a cool use case for multiple sections and different due dates!  I wonder if when you copy the course it can't set the accelerated section dates because that section doesn't exist yet; but that the "information" is still there just not visible.  After you copied the course have you tried creating the Accelerated section with the exact same name as in the original course and then checked an assignment dates to see if they showed up?  Or perhaps created the accelerated section before importing the content and seeing if it works?

Unfortunately I'm not hopeful that it's going to work, but those are a couple of methods I would try testing.  I'm just not sure how it's going to work however since the sections are specific to the course.  

Rick

All of the courses/sections are synced with our SIS, so I don't have any control over the section names. Last year, it didn't carry over the accelerated schedule from the year before and I had to re-schedule everything for my accelerated students (and I hadn't saved my handwritten planning notes that time, so I had to re-create most of my accelerated schedule from scratch first - this time I saved it), but I don't know if there's any way to get it to do better this year. 

James
Community Champion

About the only way I see it working is if Canvas develops a mapping table where you map section A in the source course to section X in the destination course. It might default to establishing mappings when they have the same name.

Unfortunately, this is an extra level of complexity in the interface for a limited audience -- two things that cause it to be less likely to be developed. The math and science people have been fighting those two walls for years with regards to quizzes and without much success.

Does the date transfer process work well enough that it would keep you from having to manually edit dates anyway? My course copies never work smoothly because the dates change from semester to semester with different holidays and spring break only being there in the spring. I have to go in and override all of the dates myself anyway. I've got the spreadsheet I wrote to Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page, but it doesn't handle differentiated assignments (assignment overrides) because I can't think of a good way to incorporate that.

If the date transfer does work, then this may be a case where a third party could develop code that would transfer the dates from one course to another course.

On another note, students may belong to more than one section. Depending on the permissions you have, you might be able to go through and create sections that are called the same as last year, but it would involve manually putting each student into them. It also shows multiple sections when you go to the gradebook, so I'm throwing it out there more in an informational manner than an actual, viable, could help the issue, solution.

thompsli
Community Champion

Date transfer has generally worked pretty well for me in my non-differentiated courses. My courses are year-long (well, broken into semesters but we only offer semester 1 in the fall and only offer semester 2 in the spring - there's no offering of fall-term Math 7 topics in spring term), so I've been pretty lucky so far. 

We're generally locked out from creating our own sections - it's synced with our SIS and not something we do manually. I suppose I could try going in with last year's section name, adding a current student to it manually, and seeing if it magically recovers things. I'll have to see if I can poke at all of that.

(I'm catching up on several months of email now that I'm back - I actually took the summer off this year as teachers allegedly do! And went on vacation without my laptop!)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@thompsli  

This is such an interesting thread!  I love how you are differentiating your course.  You might want to write up a description about how you do this in the Instructional Designers‌ group (if you haven't already - I didn't look).

It seems like the answer to your question is that this isn't possible now.  Would you submit a feature idea so that others who are interested can rally around it?  Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Feature Idea here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13225-preserve-differentiated-section-due-dates-on-course-copy 

I'll try to get something written up for https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers later - this week is pretty hectic for me.