Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abunag
Community Champion

Is there a way to prevent users from adding additional email addresses?

Jump to solution

We've been asked to not allow users to add personal email addresses, so everything concerning canvas stays with their school-assigned email address. is there a way to prevent users from adding additional email addresses to their accounts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

I think this may be possible by adding custom javascript to hide those elements in your instance of Canvas. I don't have the expertise to advise you on exactly how to do that but perhaps someone in the Canvas Developers​ group can assist. I will share this question with that group.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

I think this may be possible by adding custom javascript to hide those elements in your instance of Canvas. I don't have the expertise to advise you on exactly how to do that but perhaps someone in the Canvas Developers​ group can assist. I will share this question with that group.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Eliminating the choice to add secondary email address is indeed hard to do.  However, it is also true that you can set primary email addresses to your institutional email addresses and then un-check the account level setting that controls a user's ability to change their primary email address.

abunag
Community Champion

I see an option that doesn't allow users to delete their institution email, but none that prevents them from changing their primary email.  Where can I find the setting for locking primary email?

abunag
Community Champion

Thanks for the suggestion and help.  I'll look into an addition to our javascript.

Hi Anthony,

I believe that if you do not allow them to delete their institutional email that also prevents them from changing their primary email to be something other than their institutional email.  Let me know if you want help with testing that.

abunag
Community Champion

We already unchecked "Users can delete their institution-assigned email address" previously, and users are still able to add their personal email and set it to be their primary email.

Those tricksy users...

59416816.jpg

abunag
Community Champion

Unfortunately.

We're actually looking at using CSS to hide the button.  Not perfect, but...

Interesting...  I didn't know they could change their primary.  I'll have to check our documentation to see if there is a mismatch.