Is there a way to see the length of time students spend on Canvas for each login?

Jump to solution
heckler
Community Novice

I know that we can access the analytics and see how often students view pages and whether or not they are submitting assignments, but is there a way to track how long students spend on Canvas rather than the total amount of time online? I am trying to hold students accountable for time spent outside of class working on assignments for their hybrid classes.

1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @heckler  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

There really is no way to actually do this in Canvas, other than for quizzes which track the time in the quiz. Once I publish a quiz, what kinds of quiz statistics are available? 

However, I am not sure there would be any value in such a metric even if it were available; or rather, how accurate that metric would be. For example, both my work and home computers are always logged into Canvas, and during an active term, they are almost always logged into a course. My computers are on 24/7 unless I am rebooting for some reason or another. So my stats could show that I am in a Canvas course more than 2,000 hours each term. Not particularly useful. Your student can log into Canvas go to a page or activity, and park there while they have SnapChat open on another tab. Just sayin'.

But, if you think this could be useful, there is a feature idea open for voting at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13975-total-time-in-canvas-data 

Check it out and support by voting if you think it is appropriate.

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes