Is there a workaround for adding a rubric to an external tool?

Jump to solution
armour
Community Explorer

I unfortunately did not see the workaround suggestion for adding a rubric to an external tool (Flipgrid) until after my students had submitted their videos.  Now I am not able to modify the assignment to a submission on paper to add the rubric to the assignment.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Steven_S
Community Champion

I tested in my sandbox changing an online assignment that already had submissions from the test student to on paper and back to online.  The student submissions were not deleted.  I cannot be sure that an external tool submission would work the same way.  You could do some tests in a sandbox (or any canvas course with no real students.) 

Otherwise the alternatives are not great.  You can manual mark a pdf rubric and add it as an attachment in your comments to the students.  Or you can change this assignment to do not count in final grades and display grade complete/incomplete.  Then make a second assignment set to submitting nothing and attach the rubric to that.  Either way, be careful that you know that you are matching up the correct grades to the correct students.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@armour ...

I know your question in a few years old, but I wanted to share a link with you.  I just reviewed part of the June 21, 2023 Deploy Notes, and there's a section on Assignments: External Tool Add Rubric Button that I think might be of interest to you.

Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-06-21) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

View solution in original post

0 Likes