cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nick_johnson
Community Member

Is there an easy way to email all students in my online class within IvyLearn?

I understand the "Inbox" function within IvyLearn is not actually their Ivy Tech email, but rather an in-IvyLearn communication portal only. Previously, within Blackboard, there was an "email all students" option, but I am not seeing that within IvyLearn.

If communicating within IvyLearn's system is required or preferred, has anyone had issues with students not responding or reading communication originating through this IvyLearn communication portal?

Thanks!

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi nick.johnson Welcome  to the worldwide Canvas Community, where fellow Canvas users such as yourself can share ideas and ask questions.  I'm assuming that IvyLearn is what your institution, Ivy Tech Community College, uses for their version of Canvas.

The short answer is "yes," you can do this, but there are a few caveats.  You can message your students via the Canvas Inbox, and the process is outlined here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12740-4152719683 .  That message will go to the student's own Canvas Inbox and a copy will also be sent to any email address that the student has added under their own profile information, as shown here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10593-4212710335

If your institution is at all like mine, student have automatically had their Ivy Tech email added to their profile and, perhaps, have it set so that it cannot be removed. (You will want to check with Ivy Tech's Canvas support area regarding that.) However, students can also add additional email addresses, as that previous link indicates.

The caveat, however, is, in theory, students can choose to disable having certain messages sent to their email addresses via Canvas.  They can do this by editing their notification preferences, as outlined here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344 .  (The specific one in question is called "Conversation Message.")  To be sure, many students do not bother editing their notifications, but it is something to be aware of.  The bottom line, however, is that you have to tell them to check their Canvas Inbox religiously (many students do not) or ensure that they double-check their notification preferences to make sure that any conversations will get sent to their Ivy Tech email.

I hope this helps a bit, Nicholas!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nick.johnson...

As I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question.  I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted your question on October 8, 2017.  It looks like  @kblack  has given you some great feedback here, and I was wondering if you've had an opportunity to review it yet.  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your initial question?  If you feel that Ken's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you're still looking for some assistance from Community members, please let us know by posting a message below.  I'm going to go ahead and mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below.  I hope that's alright with you, Nicholas.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!