cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarena
Community Participant

Issues with Copying Rubrics

I have a rubric that is a generic template for lab assignments in my course.  I have a total of 4 labs, and want to start with the generic template and add specific outcomes for each lab, ending up with a total of 4 rubrics.  I copy the rubric, edit it and it saves.  As soon as I go to copy the generic rubric again, the lab specific rubric I just finished is no longer in my list of of rubrics.  Why do the rubrics keep disappearing?

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sarena , how exactly are you copying the rubric? I only ask because there isn't a direct "copy rubric" tool in Canvas and it might be the method that you're using to copy the rubrics that's causing the issue.

sarena
Community Participant

I am going into Settings, Import Content, select specific content, and then select the generic template rubric.  I go and modify the copied rubric (has a (1) at the end of the original name; I also change the rubric name).  When I go to copy the generic template again, the one I had just edited disappears.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

In the past that has worked, so I'm not sure why it's not working now. My recommendation of something that might be easier so to try this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8844-importing-rubrics-from-a-spreadsheet?sr=search&searchI...‌. Using this you can create the rubric once and then make as many copies as you want super fast and easy.

sarena
Community Participant

Just realized this won't work Smiley Sad   Our university does not allow for any app or LTIs without approval (and will not allow custom built one either).

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

It's not an LTI or an app... would that make a difference?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

What about this? Go to this guide and scroll down to where it talks about copying a rubric (almost the bottom of the rubric) - How do I add a rubric to an assignment? 

Basically it's this - 

• Create a (fake/unpublished) assignment and add the rubric to the assignment (be sure to choose from existing rubrics)
  • Edit the rubric's title/criteria (or whatever aspects of the rubric you want to modify) and save it.

By doing this, you essentially use one rubric to create a new one. When you go back to your list of rubrics, you should see the new version of the rubric listed.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @sarena ...

It's been about two months since there's been any new activity in this discussion topic, and I wanted to check in with you.  Have you had a chance to review the additional feedback that you received from  @kona ‌?  If so, did any of her responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with your question?  If you feel that one of Kona's above answers can be marked "Correct", please go ahead and do that.  However, if you're still looking for some help, please come back to this thread and post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can help you out.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Sara.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.