Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronmoore
Community Participant

Join Code for specific sections?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've run into a problem when having students sign up. I teach a class that has six sections, I have a Free for Teachers account.

When I send students an e-mail invitation, it takes them to my course but tells them they need to accept to join then brings them to the login page. Students then click sign up, which takes them to the page that asks them if they are a teacher or student. When they click student, it asks for a join code. When I give them the code, they are automatically added to one of the six sections but this means for the other five sections I have to go in and remove them from that section then add them to the right one and then they have to check their email again and then they have to accept to join that class. There must be a faster way to do this.

Is there some way for me to have section-specific join codes?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattHanes
Community Champion

This is not currently possible, however there is an idea in the Canvas Feature Ideas​ section that you can vote on. Here is a link:

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MattHanes
Community Champion

This is not currently possible, however there is an idea in the Canvas Feature Ideas​ section that you can vote on. Here is a link:

View solution in original post

max
Community Participant

Two years later and this still hasn't been fixed! Annoying!!!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@max ‌, the linked idea was archived because it did not receive enough Community votes to move on to the next stage. As time passes, priorities change, and perhaps a new idea will garner more robust support this time around. So if this is something you feel needs to be implemented, you can submit a new idea for another round of consideration by navigating to the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas and following the steps on the right side of the page for submitting a new feature idea.

abunag
Community Champion

Could you "fake" this by creating 6 separate courses, generating join codes for each, then crosslisting all 6 together?  or would the crosslist mess up the join codes?  never tried to do this, but it could work.

dale_slont
Community Member

New wrinkle in the free edition... can not move students from the course to the section. When I try to move a student with Edit Section to move them from the course name to an existing section by browsing or typing in the name it simply returns No results Found.

linnzeemarie
Community Member

Any updates?  Thus far it is now 2021 and I cannot locate a solution. 

max
Community Participant

No solution because of this terrible voting system that does not serve the needs of the users.

All we get are unhelpful replies from @Stefanie instead of fixes for obvious functionality issues.

Canvas is a five-star LMS--it deserves better than this nonsense.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@max I'm sorry to learn that my replies are unhelpful to you. While I can't speculate as to why an idea that was submitted and archived over four years ago didn't gain sufficient traction to get the attention of our product team, I suspect that most of our customers have the robust administrative tools to manage section-specific enrollments without requiring self-enrollment or a join code, and therefore wouldn't support Instructure expending development resources on an additional feature.

Instructure's development roadmap is influenced by many factors over and beyond the Idea Conversations forum (which has been using a star rating system for some time now): What is the feature development process for Instructure products? Customer Success Managers (CSM) meet regularly with schools to discuss their priorities and engineers visit sites to inform the process. Fully-featured Canvas accounts also provide customization capability that allows an organization to create and integrate its own solution for a school-specific need.

Users of our free account offering, like yourself, don't have recourse to site customization, a CSM, or site visits, and that's one of the trade-offs for using a free product; product development will be largely driven by our paying customers' needs, and users of the free accounts will benefit. The idea is currently the topic of conversation at  Self-Enrollment by Secret URL into Specific Sectio...  and I encourage everyone in this thread to add their use cases to it. Our product managers read every comment under every idea, so @max , thank you for adding your comment to the existing idea.