cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
admin_bu_carr
Community Participant

Kaltura LTI Videos not playing in the Canvas App

Jump to solution

Using the Canvas app on either the iOS or the Android OS, students are unable to view videos embedded using an iframe  Is it possible that this is a security restriction within the Canvas App? Attached are images showing the following:

Image file 2838: student viewing a Canvas Course in the app with a frame instead of a video.

01052016-CanvasApp-KalturaVideo-IMG_2838.PNG

Image file 2839: student viewing the same video as before but using the Dropbox App link from within the Canvas App.

01052016-CanvasApp-KalturaVideo-IMG_2839.PNG

Image file 2840: student viewing the same video as before but through the Safari browser to access the Canvas course instead of the Canvas App.

01052016-CanvasApp-KalturaVideo-IMG_2840.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_F
Community Champion

admin_bu_carr​ - below is the scoop I've gathered on this, back in July, 2015:

The issue - as I understand it - is that the video appears in a player with the user agent of "CanvasKit", a fork of WebKit. And since neither iOS nor Android know what "CanvasKit" is, the OS defaults from the HTML5 player to the fallback Flash player, and neither Android nor iOS play Flash. Voila. No video.

I would encourage you to open tickets with both Kaltura and Instructure. This is a known bug, but it's not going to get fixed unless there's pressure to get it fixed.

--

Of course students can access and view the content via a web browser vs. the app.  But that is not a seamless experience.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

admin_bu_carr​,

It does not look like anyone is this forum has the expertise needed to answer your question.  I have made the Community Managers aware of this unanswered post and they are looking into how to help you with this issue.

Robbie

Jeff_F
Community Champion

admin_bu_carr​ - below is the scoop I've gathered on this, back in July, 2015:

The issue - as I understand it - is that the video appears in a player with the user agent of "CanvasKit", a fork of WebKit. And since neither iOS nor Android know what "CanvasKit" is, the OS defaults from the HTML5 player to the fallback Flash player, and neither Android nor iOS play Flash. Voila. No video.

I would encourage you to open tickets with both Kaltura and Instructure. This is a known bug, but it's not going to get fixed unless there's pressure to get it fixed.

--

Of course students can access and view the content via a web browser vs. the app.  But that is not a seamless experience.

View solution in original post

jel72
Community Member

This issue is up for voting. Please vote by March 2, 2016, and spread the word! https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3938

matthew_weather
Community Participant

This issue is still unfixed, and has apparently been moved to Cold Strorage. However, this is still making it impossible to view Kaltura (and ilos) videos through the Canvas app.

@matthew_weather ‌ - as of 7/28 of this year I have a support ticket response from Kaltura that indicates this is being looked at.  There was also rumor of a work around that involved creation of a DNS alias on a vanity instructure url so that it resolves to our .edu domain (e.g. canvas.xyz.edu).  The reason why this works since the cookie is restricted to the same domain policy, creating an alias under the same domain will override this restriction.  This didn't seem to be a favorable approach for a variety of reasons and from I can tell to date there aren't any customers that have actually done this.

ps.  To help cope with this particular item I've resorted to new age approaches....  ;o)

art therapy