cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rulven
Community Participant

Keep copy of multiple-question copy to new Q bank?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've looked through the Canvas guides related to this topic and can't seem to find an explanation for what I'm seeing (more specifically, NOT seeing).

I have built chapter(module) quiz Question Banks for all chapters of a course I've imported. I now want to create a new final exam question bank by copying all questions from all the chapter quiz question banks. What I want to do is move/copy multiple questions to the new bank and keep a copy of them in the original bank. I can see I am able to copy 1 question at a time and retain an original copy like below:

175599_pastedImage_2.png

But when I try to move/copy multiple questions I do not see the box to check to Keep a copy in the original question bank.

175600_pastedImage_3.png

Is this not possible to do, or am I not seeing something correctly? Thanks.

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rulven ​, I did a little research on this and found the following feature idea - - which indicates no, this isn't currently possible in Canvas. Yet, in reading through the discussion about the feature idea  @curtain  came up with the following work around. It's not perfect, but may help if you need to do this again in the future:

1. Make a single, unpublished quiz will all the questions you want in it.  I called mine 'Copying Questions'
  2. Export that quiz via course Settings > Export Course Content > Type: Quiz > and select only your new quiz.
  3. Download that newly created export and then go right back to course Settings and select Import Content into this course
  4. Choose QTI zip for the Type and then select your new quiz export to be processed
  5. It will create a quiz and the associated question bank.  You can then delete the quiz if desired

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rulven
Community Participant

I went through and selected each question individually and copied them the new question bank. There were 205 questions. It actually didn't take as long as I originally thought it would. But if a multiple question copy shortcut is available, I'd still like to hear about it.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rulven ​, I did a little research on this and found the following feature idea - - which indicates no, this isn't currently possible in Canvas. Yet, in reading through the discussion about the feature idea  @curtain  came up with the following work around. It's not perfect, but may help if you need to do this again in the future:

1. Make a single, unpublished quiz will all the questions you want in it.  I called mine 'Copying Questions'
  2. Export that quiz via course Settings > Export Course Content > Type: Quiz > and select only your new quiz.
  3. Download that newly created export and then go right back to course Settings and select Import Content into this course
  4. Choose QTI zip for the Type and then select your new quiz export to be processed
  5. It will create a quiz and the associated question bank.  You can then delete the quiz if desired

Hope this helps!

rulven
Community Participant

Thanks, Kona! Wow, that was a fast response! This was my first post and I'm pleasantly surprised with the speed of the reply. I'll try that workaround on my course import, thanks again! Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

No problem! In general most questions get answered (or we attempt to answer them) pretty quickly in the Community!

And yes, definitely give the work around a try! It actually sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but I'm curious if it's easier/quicker than doing it manually. [I freely admit I've never tried to move each individual question on a bank that big manually!].