cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KOliveras
Community Participant

Keyboard Shortcuts in the Pretty HTML Editor

Jump to solution

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but in trying out the new "Pretty HTML" feature, I have been unable to paste text using keyboard shortcuts.  So, my questions are as follows: 

1. Is there a keyboard shortcut for pasting text into the pretty HTML editor? I can right click and select paste from the menu, but I'm specifically looking for a keyboard shortcut. 
  2. Is there documentation available for the keyboard shortcuts in the pretty html editor? In trying various combinations to find an option for pasting text, I did discover a few unexpected keyboard shortcuts actions. I'm curious as to what set of keyboard short cuts exist "under the hood" so to speak.  
35 Replies

@jnc 

We've had a number of support agents and engineers investigate the behavior, and their consensus is that the ctrl-f search issue is indeed endemic to the browser configuration. That said, I don't have anywhere near the technical expertise to explain why that is—like you, I'd think it reasonable to expect that if the function works in the raw editor in your browser, it should also work in the pretty editor in that same browser—so I'm hoping to find someone who can provide additional detail.

The current recommendation is to use Firefox when using the pretty editor, or switch to the raw editor, when conducting a ctrl-f search for content. 

JeffCampbell
Community Participant

@jnc and @Stef_retired I also received such an email yesterday morning. I agree that it seems a rather unhelpful response and seemed to focus more on how it is someone else's issue.  I had the same thoughts as you. This is not happening in the RAW editor. I also added that using another cloud-based programming website did not have this same issue. That another service and the RAW editor do not have such issues, it would imply that it has something to do with how Canvas's Pretty Editor interacts with browsers. That would make it a Canvas issue, not a browser issue. I also added that the Pretty Editor seems to autoscroll to the top of the editor EVERY TIME I navigate away from it, including merely going to another browser tab.

Either way, I would hope that Canvas would expect it's product to be usable as intended regardless of the browser being used.

@JeffCampbell We've brought the autoscroll issue to the attention of the product manager for the Rich Content Editor for further investigation, and in the meantime are asking users to initiate separate support cases for that behavior.

We do appreciate your efforts to help improve the functionality of the editor through communication with the development team and techs. Thank you @Stef_retired 

and-hu
Community Participant

@Stef_retired 

I am also having issues with the Ctrl+F behavior in Firefox on Windows, it simply does not work properly in any browser I am using unless I make the Pretty HTML editor fullscreen. 

Though, even if it did work in Firefox, since Chrome (and Chromium-based derivatives) is the most popular browser in the world by far, I would think it not working on Chrome would be a priority for Canvas to fix. 

jnc
Community Participant

I think @and-hu suggested that  the issue seems to be related to whether your computer was touch screen rather than the browser or OS; I'm working on a touch screen and a colleague of mind (who can use all shortcuts - except that Ctrl+F still only works on visible screen) is not on a touch screen.  But it's confirmation again that it's not the browser that seems to be the issue as the responses to support requests keep trying to suggest.

jnc
Community Participant

Once again @JeffCampbell and @Stef_retired I received an unhelpful email response last night:

"Thank you for the reply back to us. I'm sorry that the search function in Chrome and Firefox don't support searching within HTML elements. When you search for this within the page and it shows some results, that is because the HTML has been rendered for what is actively being displayed on pages. In order to implement a way to search through the HTML in the Pretty HTML Editor, it would require a new feature implemented that specifically searches through the HTML of the page. Since you already have the feature request already created, https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Pretty-HTML-Editor-Ctrl-F-Won-t-Work/idi-p/447... then you may be able to add your comments on this to that request to show more support for this to be developed quicker."

It seems that in the other thread similar non-response responses have been received - in particular, blaming the browser when Ctrl+F works fine in RAW editor. They also didn't address related concerns about Ctrl+V not working (or rather acting surprisingly as a page-down).

I'll just keep using RAW as it seems they are not interested in fixing it or are not able to fix it.

KOliveras
Community Participant

Just an update on this piece of the puzzle related to editing discussion posts using the pretty html editor, I opened a support case and L3 support was able to replicate the issue with editing discussion posts.  Here's the reply that I received in case anyone else was curious about this specific behavior:

I have been doing testing on this issue with a Windows 10 Surfacebook pro and did replicate the issue. I also did some other testing and found that the D and N keys can do the same thing on non touch screen devices but only if you click outside of the editor to make it lose focus. So I think that the problem is that there is a dual focus on the browser with these touch screen devices that is being recognized. I've mentioned this on the case and have escalated this to product and engineering for further review. Thank you for all the information and testing on your end as well. We will be notifying you via this case with more information once a fix is made available.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

For everyone who has been participating in this conversation, we thank you for your patience. Our engineering team has now created a ticket to investigate the keyboard shortcut issue in Pretty HTML, so if you've already submitted a support case, please reply to to the ticket with a request to have your case associated with the engineering ticket—and if you haven't yet initiated a case, please do so in order to receive direct updates and to provide our engineers with additional evidence that will help them in the investigation.

and-hu
Community Participant

Would super appreciate it if anyone who has support tickets out keeps us up to date on progress! I have had such nightmare experiences with the "experts" at Canvas support, I just cannot subject myself to them again.