cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmcilroy
Community Member

Knowing a student has asked a question or replied to instructor comments in SpeedGrader

Jump to solution

After I finish evaluating student essays in SpeedGrader, students sometimes reply to my comments or ask questions.  Currently I have no way of knowing that a student has responded to my comments and thus the student comments/questions are ignored.  Is there a way I can be notified that a student comment or question has been posted?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @gmcilroy  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  You should be able to modify your Notification Preferences so that you can get notified of comments from your students.  In Canvas, click on Account >> Notifications.  Under the Course Activities heading, you should have a row for Submission Comment.  Make sure that your notifications are set how you want them for this row.  Here are some Guides for you that should help:

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor? 

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13045-4152719742 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @gmcilroy  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  You should be able to modify your Notification Preferences so that you can get notified of comments from your students.  In Canvas, click on Account >> Notifications.  Under the Course Activities heading, you should have a row for Submission Comment.  Make sure that your notifications are set how you want them for this row.  Here are some Guides for you that should help:

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor? 

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13045-4152719742 

View solution in original post

Yes, the Canvas Notifications are *so* helpful for things like student comments on assignments and submissions. I really like that I can receive email notifications, which puts those comments directly into my email's inbox folder. Then I can reply to those comments via email too! Though it helps to delete the original message before emailing that reply. I discovered this first when doing the same thing with discussions and wrote a blog entry about it:

gmcilroy
Community Member

Thank you!

Thank you!

gmcilroy
Community Member

Thank you!

myerdon01
Community Champion

We have had the same issue, so I make sure faculty is aware that students could be adding comments in SpeedGrader and suggest they set that notification to the "Notify me right away" option so that teachers get the comment and students do not get unintentionally ignored.

yarnelll
Community Participant

I do get notifications when students reply in the submission comment box in Speedgrader; I understand that setting. However, students are given an option in the "View Feedback" window to the individual comments "on the page," and I have not found a way to get notified of those particular comments, so those go unanswered. I try to remember to tell students that, but...am I missing something?